I would like to understand if there is any specific methodology we need to adopt for migrating data from a legacy system to SAP MDM. Please kindly highlight the steps that need to be followed for migrating the data.
Broadly, Datamigration exercise can be performed in the sequence of steps mentioned below.
1) Identifying the fields in MDM Data model to which data needs to be migrated from legacy application.
2) Decide and prepare source file format (template) for import in line with your MDM Datamodel .Eg. Excel , xml or others.
3) Configure/develop an extraction mechanism (program) in legacy application for downloading the data in template format decided in previous step.
An extration mechanism can be a simple query or a complex download program.
4) Download data from legacy system.
5) With the source file in hand, prepare import map.
6) In import map , identify and fix a unique field as a matching field for importing the data.
7) Perform data import.
8) Validate data in MDM incomparison to legacy system.You can have a customised template in excel to make data comparison.