cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

webdynpro metadatacacheinvalidation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

i added a field to structure in the backend and made all changes to webdynpro, now when i deployed the webdynpro application, its giving error structure field not found, We need to restart the server so the application works good. when this change is transported to QA and webdynpro changes goes thru nwdi, but this error wont happen in prod portal. somy question is why prod doesnot need restart, what was the setting differences in webdynpro console.

Thanks,

pkv

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well I havent encountered this scenario, but its interesting. Just wanted to add - you dont have to restart the server to invalidate the metadata cache - you can do it from within web dynpro console as well

Go to the below link on your Portal: http://<server>:<port>/webdynpro/dispatcher/sap.com/tcwdtools/WebDynproConsole and click on the last link titled - Invalidation of ARFC Metadata Cache. Select your model name and click on invalidate.

Thanks,

GLM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies guys. My question is does the metadata invalidation is also needs to done to Portal Production or not. It gave me error in qa saying field in structure not found, i restarted j2ee server error gone and everything working good now after these changes moves to prod, do i need to do metadata cache invalidation or not? here in this document https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f3f93ee7-0c01-0010-2593-d7c...

its given as

Production Scenarios u2013 The production scenarios are those where any productive ARFC Web Dynpro system running in a customer environment can adapt to the metadata changes just by a browser refresh. There will be no need to u201CRestart the J2EE Engine u201C. Example Scenarios are those that involve refreshing the Data Dictionary Cache. Some of these are

1. u201CShort Descriptionu201D change of Data Elements.

2. Changes in Value Range of Domains on the backend etc.

3. Mostly things that have anything to do with Dictionary.

After running through the invalidation tool (as in Fig 6) the browser in which the application runs can simply be refreshed to get the updated dictionary metadata. Please note that itu2019s not necessary to click on the u201CDonu2019t Cacheu201D in the upper JCO Destination table if you need to use the Dictionary Invalidation. The above way allows you to select JCO Dictionaries for that destination and invalidate it. Since this runs through a lot of computing, getting the list of dictionaries may not always be best in performance. For performance there is an alternate option where the Dictionary can be invalidated just by typing the name of the dictionary

So do i need to restart or clear the metadata cache from webdynpro console . is this required?

Thanks,

pkv

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you will have to clear the metadata cache on production also.

Thanks,

GLM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pkv

I think it is not necessary to restart the server the changes will automatically reflects to production.

and no need to to restart the server and just re import the model is enough to see the updated ones.

Hope it wills helps

Thanks

Tulasi Palnati

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks GLM, We need to clear the cache in prod also.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone confirm whether this works properly with load balancing? We have invalidated the cache and the error dissapeared but only for some users.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

susmita_panigrahi
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

The meta data cache is most common issue web dynpro has. We can clear the cache in the web dynpro console to invalidate the meta data cache .But, restart is best and ideal solution to the meta data cache issue.

Please go through the below pdf file:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/10465350-b4f5-2910-61ba-a58282b3b6df&overrid...

Thanks

Susmita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well I havent encountered this scenario, but its interesting. Just wanted to add - you dont have to restart the server to invalidate the metadata cache - you can do it from within web dynpro console as well

Go to the below link on your Portal: http://<server>:<port>/webdynpro/dispatcher/sap.com/tcwdtools/WebDynproConsole and click on the last link titled - Invalidation of ARFC Metadata Cache. Select your model name and click on invalidate.

Thanks,

GLM