cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J2EE server does not start during installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am installing WebAS JAVA 640 (NW04 SR1) on a Windows 2003/MSSQL server. I am using JAVA SDK 1.4.2_9. The installation stops at step 24/25 whereby the installer waits for the J2EE engine to start. After making 3 attempts to start the J2EE server, the installation process just hangs and I have to Cancel the installation.

BTW, I am specifying a heap size of 1024 MB and using the "Database Only" option as UME data store during installation.

Having checked the trace and log files, it seems the UME service fails to start, throws an exception and the message "the start of a core service failed, Web AS will not start".

According to the information available <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/20/361941edd5ef23e10000000a155106/content.htm">here</a>, I have checked the settings and it seems that option 2, <b>"User or group data is missing"</b> is causing the problem since database content of UME is missing. I have tried selecting entries from table UME_STRINGS but this table is empty.

Now, the same link says that I should login to UME web application as SAP* but the problem is that without the J2EE engine starting up, I cannot login and create missing users/groups.

Any ideas???

Regards

Shehryar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Khan,

Instead of cancelling the installation you please manually start the J2EE engine and click retry .

Installation goes smoothly.

Regards,

Bapujee Naidu

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member192029
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

It is not recommended to user J2SDK1.4.2_09. You can try with J2SDK1.4.2_08. Or else, you have manually restart the services from windows. (go to windows start >> run >> enter service.msc, then start appropriate SAP services)

It goes well

Cheers

Jawahar Govindaraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the problem is with the heap size. Try to reduce the heap size and see whether its working or not

Thanks

prince

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all who replied. I have actually tried all options suggested like waiting for retries until the box appears, trying to manually start the server, and reducing heap size. None worked for me. For your information, I have a 2.4 GHz machine with 4GB RAM so I think heap size should not be an issue. I checked SAP Note regarding heap size issues in Win 2003 but that does not seem to apply in my case since my system does not behave abnormally with JVM settings.

Thanks again and I'll give it another shot.

Regards

Shehryar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you checked the UME settings in the offline config editor?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shehryar,

Are you actually getting an error message box that specifies that the installation was not successful, otherwise let the installation run. We faced a similar issue but after 5 attempts (3 in your case) the installation worked fine.