cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Windows 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have a ECC 6.0 system with Oracle 10.2.0.4 running a Windows 2003 64 bit Unicode.

Currently we facing a strange situation of SAP System Hangs sometime ... making all Dialog working process Running and hangging, I can not able to kill the process or any attempt to liging to system.

basically we get this situation quite frquent nowadays.

I gone through Note Note 1316558 - System hang situations on Windows Server 2003

The suggestion is to upgrade to Windows 2008 will solve this issue.

The sysmptoms are exactly same which are mentioned in this Note. So finally we have decide to upgrade windows to 2008.

I have a very simple but useful question weather there are any known Issues with SAP on Windows 2008?

Any problem specific with Windows 2008.

Any help regarding this would be much appriciated.

Regards

Shailesh Mamidwar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have a very simple but useful question weather there are any known Issues with SAP on Windows 2008?

> Any problem specific with Windows 2008.

Some thoughts:

- Windows 2008 uses UAC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control), to make your system behave as under Windows 2003 you have to deactivate it

- Windows 2008 R2 is not yet supported

- Check that your database backup software is supported on Windows 2008

- don't "upgrade" the OS but rather install it new and use a homogeneous system copy of your SAP application

- 32bit systems are not supported with Windows 2008

- you may need to modify the installation disks to make them work on Windows 2008

Note 1076022 - Release planning for Microsoft SQL Server 2008

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Oracle 10g is upported on Windows 2008. See note Note 1303262 - Oracle on Windows Server 2008.

Thanks,

Shambo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Deae All,

Thanks for your time to write these views.

Fortunately I know Oracle is supported and I can upgrade to WIndows 2008, but my main concern is to know if there are any other knows issues with this combination? Any Problems and facts anything ...

As this is quite a new combination I am bit concerned before upgrading.

Regards

Shailesh Mamidwar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

OSS Note 1316558 :-

Therefore, we also recommend migrating to Windows Server 2008, if possible. This migration is only necessary for application servers. If your database runs on a separate server, you can migrate the database server at a later point in time

It says only application servers not the database server, So check wheather Oracle is supported in Windows 20008 environment or Not. In PAM it is showing that it is supporting.

[http://www.itjungle.com/two/two040908-story05.html]

Thanks,

Shambo