Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Compound Fields

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Folks,

I had gone through a lot about Compound field lookups.

You can create a compound source field for mapping to a destination

lookup field that consists of multiple display fields as described in this

section.

Well, is there any Blog other than theory on 'How to create compound fields(with example)' .

Or can any Expert(who worked with Compound field) expalin how it works and why it is used with an example with 2 tables??

Any reply is appriciated

Kind Regards

Eva

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Whenever your table has more than one display field, both the fields say FirstName and LastName will appear in D(first column in Mapping Fields) in Import Manager. In order to create the Compound field, first map FirstName from the source file with the FirstName field of the repository which has D in front of it in Import Manager. Similarly map the LastName field. Now select both the fields at source side, right click and select Create Compound Field. This will automatically create the Compound Field and map this newly created field with the Destination Field. Just check the Value Mapping of this compound field.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Talreja,

...Now select both the fields at source side, right click and select Create Compound Field. This will automatically create the Compound Field and map this newly created field with the Destination Field. Just check the Value Mapping of this compound field.

When you say 'Destination field' is that the field other than Lastname, Firstname?? If so, why should i have it?

well, lets say i have 3 DF which are not linked to each other(your example shows first name and last name which can be joined together and can form a meaning full destination field, but My 3DF'S indipendent of each other), 3 fields are different in their nature.

i have one table which has couple of fields init and each field is looking into there related corresponding fields in the table mentioned above.

Here i can Foresee a problem in value mapping when there are Multiple DF ..

Can we fix this?

Kind Regards

Eva.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Consider the below example

You have one lookup table say

LookTable1 which has 4 Display Fields amongst which 3 are Display Fields

LookupTable1

F1(D) F2 F3(D) F4(D)

ABC 123 Y 20A

PQR 123 N 12A

XYZ 224 Y 30C

MainTable

ID LT1 NAME LOCATION

100 ABC,Y,20A JITESH MUMBAI

200 XYZ,Y,30C TALREJA PUNE

When you open Import Manager, you can find 4 fields related to this lookup table viz LT1<F1,F3,F4> which is of type F(Flat), F1, F3 and F4 which are of type D(Display). Your source file has values for all these fields but for importing you need to first create the Compound Field. For this, map F1 of type D with the corresponding field in Source file, similarly map the other fields. Now select the fields from source file which are mapped with F1, F3 and F4, right click and select Create Compound Field option. This will automatically map the newly created field with LT1. Just you need to do Value Mapping.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Simply a field is Compound field (i.e. lookup to a table with multiple display fields). When a field from Main table look up to flat table, then only Display field value is visible into MDM Data Manager Main table record Mode.

For Example: In main table i have a field country which is look up to Countries table. In countries table i have two fields say Country Name and Country Code which are independent of each other. As per our requirement if client wants to display(visible) only one field into Main table either Country Name and Country Code then there is no need to create compound field and only one of these fields set as Display = Yes into MDM Console.

But if there is requirement to display both these values Country name and Country code into MDM Data Manager Main Table Record Mode then we have to set Property Display = Yes for both of these fields into MDM Console and During Import there is need to Create Compound Field so that in Main table Country field you get values as combination of say India, IN and the same gets visible into MDM Data Manager Record Mode. So it depends all on your requirement. You are setting three fields as Display fields. So, here you need to check is there requirement to display all these three fields into MDM Data Manager Record Mode or any of single field can serve your Purpose. If you have to show all of these fields then you have to create compound field else you would not able to import data. This is default behavior of MDM Import Manager for importing data for field in Main table which is look to table with Multiple Display Fields.

Also, Main use of Compound field comes into Picture in case of importing Main table data with qualified table. As you know if we have more than one Non-Qualifier then Data will get imported into Data Manager into two Maps. One for Non-Qualifier Import and another for Qualifier Import. Here if you make use of Compound field you can import data for Qualified table in one short using only one Map. For this all you need to do make all Non-Qualifiers as Display Fields. Then During Import you need to map these non-Qualifiers with target Non-Qualifiers which is visible into target Main Table because they are now display fields. After that you need to select all your Source Non-qualifier fields and Right Click Create Compound Field which will get automatically map to your Field in main table which is lookup to this Qualified Table.

Please refer this:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/c03240fa-cc3e-2b10-aa9a-a5798e319a6e&overrid...

Hope it will help you in understanding the significance of Compound Field.

Please close thread if answered

Thanks & Regards,

Mandeep Saini

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Talreja,

Here i have lookuptable ( T1 )

Name(D) ID Indicator(D) Hno(D)

ABC 123 Y 20A

My main table

Name ->Lookup flat - T1

Salesorg (TEXT)

Indicator ->Lookup flat - T1

Hno ->Lookup flat - T1

Firstly i need to fill the Lookupdate with my source data.

EXCEL (Source) T1(Destination)

-

Name Name(D)

ID ID

Indicator Indicator(D)

Hno Hno(D)

Now mapping my source data to main table

Excel_2 (Source) Main table

-

Name Name ->Lookup flat - T1

salesorg Salesorg (TEXT)

Indicator Indicator ->Lookup flat - T1

Hno Hno ->Lookup flat - T1

D- Hno

D - Name

D - Indicator

My Excel_2 has some values which need to be value mapped with the lookup vales of destination field.

But at value mapping point to map my name with Name (T1) values, i can see name,indicator,Hno??How can i restrict them to only name.And Indicator to indicator and Hno to hno, WITHOUT removing the DF's in T1 table?

Can you let me know what should be my next step??

Kind regards

Eva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You cannot directly map the source field with the destination field having more than one display field. Follow the steps mentioned in my above post and try to analyze the example given.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva

Why do you need to define a single Lookup table with 3 fields: name, Indicator and house Number?

Here i have lookuptable ( T1 )

Name(D) ID Indicator(D) Hno(D)

ABC 123 Y 20A

My main table

Name ->Lookup flat - T1

Salesorg (TEXT)

Indicator ->Lookup flat - T1

Hno ->Lookup flat - T1

Instead there can be 3 different lookup tables for name, Indicator and house Number. This may simplify things

regards

ravi

Answers (0)