cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Approach - NEW Datasources and Business content

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I know these question is answered but based on the need of the situation,however can you tell me like what is the BEST approach or THUMB RULE for FRESH netweaver2004s implementation in terms of datasources.

<u>APPROACH - A</u>

1)Replicate NEW datasources(not 3.x)

<b>I have strict requirement of Business content datasources only.</b>

2)Install business content Cubes and ODS<b>(I have STRICT requirement of standard business content CUBES+ODS only)</b>

PS- I am aware that with new DS ,I wont have x'fer structure and update rules and need to use DTP.

As per OSS note -938210 i need to replicate all datasources as 3.x MANDATORY, is these statement CORRECT??it means approach-B is MANDATORY ??

OR <u>APPROACH - B</u>

1)Replicate as 3.x datasources

2)Install business content cubes+ODS (these would have transfer rules and update rules)

3)MIGRATE OLD DS to NEW DS using RSDS transaction.

PS- I have 200 standard business content Datasources ,so

as per approach B i need a labour work of MIGRATING 200 datasources and then dont know what could be the intricacies as well.

Please HELP !!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member192700
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe, just as an addition to what Michael said.

When you replicating a DataSource the BI system is asking you whether you want to create the DataSource in the BI system in SAP NetWeaver 2004s or BW 3.X format.

Cheers

SAP NetWeaver 2004s Ramp-Up BI Back Office Team

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I am replicating the DataSource, that option is not displayed "If I want to create a DS in the 3.x or 2004's"

We are on SP 10. Should I expect that options in this SP. If yes, could you please explain, why I am not getting that option.

Thanks, your help is appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok..

so what is the version of current datasource you have after replicating datasource??3.x or NEW

you can figure out as below.

look at the icon for the DataSource...if you see a small "square" next to the icon, it's a 3.x DataSource.

If that square is not there, it's a NEW DataSource that is of the new design for SAP NetWeaver 2004s.

If its an FRESH BI sandbox installation would advocate

delete source system connection (RSA1)

create source system connection

replicate datasources --should ask you for replicating 3.x or NEW 2004s options

as I presume you have replicated all datasources as NEW datasources or 3.x and once you do it you cannot change it

or other words you can if

its replicated as 3.x you can MIGRATE and

its replicated as NEW than follow below link

However;if its FRESH installation would advocate to delete source system connection and follow aforementioned steps

Hope it Helps

Chetan

@CP..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

As per OSS note -938210 i need to replicate all datasources as 3.x MANDATORY, is these statement CORRECT??it means approach-B is MANDATORY ??

--> The OSS note is correct, you need to use 3.X Business Content DataSource if you want to replicate the 3.X business content transfer and update rules as well.

--> I would replicate the business content as it is defined (3.X in the most cases) and migrate the data flow if necessary (the business content transfer and update rules are very important). You do not need to use the transaction RSDS. This transaction is only necessary if you want to rebuilt the 3.X DataSource.

Best,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mike,

So Migration 2 types

1)Migration of datasources

2)Migration of Transfer rules + update rules

<b>Standard BI Business Content case</b> - (FRESH Implementation and no upgrade)

I have BUSINESS LOGIC(transfer/update rules) for one of the finance cube which loads only PLAN data for standard R/3(ECC 6.0) datasource readily available if I have 3.x datasource ,NOW question

Will I have same BUSINESS LOGIC(in TRANSFORMATION) if i replicate NEW datasource(not 3.x) readily available

OR

I need to add that BUSINESS LOGIC in the TRANSFORMATION services while using NEW datasources

<b>Mother of all Question-</b>

Does TRANSFORMATION have BUSINESS LOGIC readily available as DEFAULT or we need to CODE it.

Does TRANSFORMNATION by DEFAULT maps only 1-1 INFOOBJECTS??

Thanks again in advace for your help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

"--> Will I have same BUSINESS LOGIC(in TRANSFORMATION) if i replicate NEW datasource(not 3.x) readily available ..."

Answer: No, the business content is not migrated yet, so you need to code it.

The reason is, the business content team is not able to migrate the business content until the new Release was available.

Hope it helps?

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Andreas

That does help and I have awarded you the points for the same.Any idea as to when would these new TRANSFORMATIONs available ??

How(transaction code) & when should I migrate the transfer rules/update rules(Business Logic).

Thanks

Johny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any update on these topic ??

Appreciate your reply please.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Johny,

the new Transformation is available. Only the "old" business content is not migrated yet. The migration of the business content will take some time and will be available with one of the next Addon's. For more information please check the service marketplace alias BI --> BI content

If you may want to migate your business scenario without waiting, please check the Technical Operation Manual

s.

Data Flow

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/43/f9d041d6392ae3e10000000a422035/content.htm

or DataSource

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/44/034afbc148333de10000000a1553f7/content.htm

Please check also the release notes of the support packages. I believe a new feature to help the migration of customer data flows will be delivered in SPS8.

Best,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael,

But both the links does not describe the STEP by STEP procedure how to migrate the datasource and Dataflow.

As we know that migrating from OLD to NEW datasource deletes the dataflow(transfer rules,update rules) what is the ramification part??

Where do we get the step by step procedure or how do do it,does the old dataflow(business logic) get collected in the new TRANSFORMATION scenario??

thanks