cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup MaxDB 7.7.06.09 to Veritas Netbackup 6.5 fails

Former Member
0 Kudos

We want to backup MaxDB to Veritas Netbackup server.

According documentation found about this topic the backup is configured

by creating 3 files: bsi.env, initWDO.par (for backint for MaxDB) and

initWDO.utl (for backint for Oracle). The contents of these files are shown below.

When running the backup, it seems that backint for MaxDB ends with return code 2,

the error message received is:

-24920,ERR_BACKUPOP: backup operation was unsuccessful

The backup tool failed with 2 as sum of exit codes.

Unfortunately no further errors/warnings are shown that points in any direction

what's going wrong here.

We start the backup via the following dbmcli-command:

dbmcli -u control,****** -d WDO -uUTL control,****** backup_start BACKData_WDO

(for the time being without xuser entries, first make sure the backup is ok)

The files dbm.ebl, dbm.prt and several others do not show any additional details/hints.

It seems as if the "save data quick" to the named pipe is ok, the sql-code returns "0".

After this the backint for MaxDB should read the named pipe and write it to stage-files,

but backint (for MaxDB) ends with return code 2.

Any idea what might go wrong here?

With kind regards,

R. Hoogeveen

The Netherlands

File bsi.env:

=========

BACKINT /sapdb/WDO/db/bin/backint

INPUT /tmp/backint4maxdb_WDO.in

OUTPUT /tmp/backint4maxdb_WDO.out

ERROROUTPUT /tmp/backint4maxdb_WDO.err

PARAMETERFILE /sapdb/data/wrk/WDO/initWDO.par

TIMEOUT_SUCCESS 600

TIMEOUT_FAILURE 300

ORIGINAL_RUNDIRECTORY /sapdb/data/wrk/WDO

File initWDO.par:

=============

STAGING AREA: /tmp/stageWDO 1 GB

FILES PER BACKINT CALL: 1

BACKINT: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/backint

PARAMETERFILE OF BACKINT: /sapdb/data/wrk/WDO/initWDO.utl

HISTORY FILE: /sapdb/data/wrk/WDO/backint_history_WDO.log

INPUTFILE FOR BACKINT: /tmp/backint4ora_WDO.in

OUTPUTFILE FOR BACKINT: /tmp/backint4ora_WDO.out

ERRORFILE FOR BACKINT: /tmp/backint4ora_WDO.err

MAXIMAL DELAY OF BACKINT CALL: 30

File initWDO.utl:

=============

switch_list /tmp/.switch_WDO.lis

switch_sem /tmp/.switch_WDO.sem

switch_log /tmp/.switch_WDO.log

drives 1

client wdocsz01

server backfire

policy sap_WDO

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Unfortunately no further errors/warnings are shown that points in any direction

> what's going wrong here.

Hmm... hard to believe that...

> The files dbm.ebl, dbm.prt and several others do not show any additional details/hints.

Ok, then let's have us take a look into them...

If you're a SAP customer, please to open a support message for this issue, since handling files is very uncomfortable via this forum.

> It seems as if the "save data quick" to the named pipe is ok, the sql-code returns "0".

> After this the backint for MaxDB should read the named pipe and write it to stage-files,

> but backint (for MaxDB) ends with return code 2.

>

What about the /tmp/backint4maxdb_WDO.err log file?

No entries in it?

regards,

Lars

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars,

It is not completely clear why, but suddenly the backup to Veritas Netbackup server is successfully completed.

I expect that permissions on the Netbackup server were a problem here, but I have no access to the Netbackup server

and not enough information about what was changed by the backup team. (sorry for that)

With kind regards,

Roger Hoogeveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars,

Some progress from my side I think.

I have a copy of the stage.0 file, so I created the /tmp/backint4ora.in file (with the stage.0 as contents)

and finally I started a manual backint (4 Oracle) process to backup the file to our Veritas Netbackup server.

sdb@wdocsz01% /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/backint

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/backint: usage:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/backint -u user_id -p param_file [ -o output_file ] [ -i input_file ]

-f backup|restore|inquire [-t file or file_online ]

sdb@wdocsz01% /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/backint -u WDO -p /sapdb/data/wrk/WDO/initWDO.utl -i /tmp/backint4ora_WDO.in -f backup -t file

ERROR: incorrect format or option in .utl file (-p)

sdb@wdocsz01% echo $status

sdb@wdocsz01%

To my opinion it looks like backint (4 Oracle) does not recognize one of the lines in the initWDO.utl file.

This file looks like: (no weird things in it, as far as I can see)

switch_list /tmp/.switch_WDO.lis

switch_sem /tmp/.switch_WDO.sem

switch_log /tmp/.switch_WDO.log

drives 1

client wdocsz01

server backfire

policy sap_WDO

Can it be that the environment for user sdb is not sufficient to run backint (4 Oracle) ??

I might want to test if I can manually run the backint on a pure Oracle system, but it will take some time

before I can do that.

To be continued.

With kind regards,

Roger Hoogeveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars,

The /tmp/backint4maxdb.err file tells me:

Backint for Oracle was unsuccessful.

(Unfortunately that was all information in this file.)

The backint4ora.in file tells me:

/tmp/stageWDO.0

(looks ok to me, also at the time backint4ora was started the stage file was created with non-zero size)

The backint4ora.out file tells me:

ERROR: incorrect format or option in .utl file (-p)

(this seems as if the -p option is not recognized by the backint4ora executable)

When I run this executable manually as user sdb it shows me the commandline that I should use, including the -p option.

One strange thing I notice is that the order of the options is different from the commandline that is executed.

(in the usage it shows -p as almost last parameter, the command executed has -p in the middle; I will see if I can execute the backint4ora command manually, since I have the stage file available, I have copied it during the process)

The backint4ora.err file is empty.

The commandline of the dbmcli command I execute shows me another interesting error message,

this might also be the source of all problems here.

-24920,ERR_BACKUPOP: backup operation was unsuccessful

Could not get external backup ID's from the backup tool.

I tried to retrieve the external backup id's manually for medium BACKDataWDO, it show me OK without any external backup id's.

I am not sure, but I think this is correct since no successfull backup was created yet with external backup tool.

Can it also be that the parameter "history file" from the initWDO.par file is set wrong?

Currently it is set to "/sapdb/data/wrk/WDO/backint_history_WDO.log" (see above also), but I can imagine

that this should be set to the dbm.knl or dbm.ebf file ??

With kind regards,

Roger Hoogeveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars,

Thanks for quick response, in the meantime I have created oss message nr 810855 / 2009 for this problem.

For debugging purposes I have also replaced the backint for MaxDB and backint for Oracle executables by a script

(backint_check, temporary only to see what is happening under the hood)

that lists the environment and several things before starting the backint executable (with all parameters).

Unfortunately no progress for this problem in this way.

I see that the maxdb named pipe part is ok (named pipe is created, the "save data quick" to the named pipe ends

with return code 0, so this seems ok).

When backint for maxdb is started, this also seems ok, one staging file is created with a non-zero size

(/tmp/stageWDO.0 is the filename, seems ok to me).

Finally the maxdb for Oracle is a bit confused I think. The command that is started is

"/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/backint -u WDO -f backup -t file -p /sapdb/data/wrk/WDO/initWDO.utl -i /tmp/backint4ora_WDO.in -c"

while I see (in an Oracle-only SAP system) that backint for Oracle is executed here with other parameter order:

backint -u WRD -f backup -t file -i /oracle/WRD/sapbackup/.lseratcg.lst -p /oracle/WRD/102_64/dbs/initWRD.utl -c

It seems a communication failure between backint for MaxDB and backint for Oracle.

(as far as I can see)

On SAPnet I have included several files for you to analyze, I'm curious what is going wrong here.

With kind regards,

Roger Hoogeveen