cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linebreak in Textfield

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have an Adobe based form for correspondence in SAP Learning Solution. That form contains a textfield which is binded to a context element that holds some text. That text containes several line breaks. However, in the textfield on the form those line breaks are not displayed.

The textfield is set to allow multiple lines which it actually does. But it just breaks the lines at the edge of the field and not where the line breaks in the text are.

Any clues how to get the line breaks correctly?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think the margins are ok. I guess its somehow that the textfield does not catch the formatting of the text.

Meantime I switched the field format to Rich Text (it was plain text before) and the data format in the binding to XHTML.

The text itself come from the context which is reading the data from an HR Infotype. The text is edited in an editor without any control characters. The same text is displayed properly in a BSP application so there should be some line breaks as I said.

I even added

<br />

to the text to force a line break. In the BSP application I can see that as a additional line break but in the adobe form it just displays

<br />

within the text.

Edited by: Stefan Zeißig on Aug 25, 2009 9:43 AM

nikhilkup
Active Participant
0 Kudos

can you show me with an eg. like what is happening.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Simple as that: in the editor for the context field the text looks like that:

Unit 1 Course Overview

Unit 2 Overview of Personnel Development

Unit 3 Setting up the Qualifications Catalogue

Unit 4 Creating & Evaluating Profiles

Unit 5 System Settings for Qualifications & Requirements

Unit 6 Career Planning

Unit 7 Succession Planning

Unit 8 Development Plans

Unit 9 Appraisal Systems

However, on the adobe form the textfield shows this:

Unit 1 Course Overview Unit 2 Overview of Personnel Development

Unit 3 Setting up the Qualifications Catalogue Unit 4 Creating & Evaluating Profiles

Unit 5 System Settings for Qualifications & Requirements Unit 6 Career Planning

Unit 7 Succession Planning Unit 8 Development Plans Unit 9 Appraisal Systems

As I said, even if I put XHTML control characters in the editor to force a line break it does not show in the form. Instead it just puts the string

<br />

into the text so it does not even recognize it.

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stefan,

Check Scenario No 2 and open the sample mentioned [here|http://livecyclekarma.wordpress.com/2009/05/20/richtext-tricks-for-textfield-in-designer/] in Adobe LiveCycle and use the script in your form.

Chintan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

that 2nd scenario looks interessting. Unfortunately my form is created in the background and sent directly via email to the end user. I cannot expect the end user to push a button to see the correct formatting.

Anyway, meantime I got an answer from SAP saying that the behavior of this particular textfield is not an error but actually standard. The text for that field is pulled from a database table. Obviously that table holds the actual content and the control characters for the format in different fields. SAP developers found it should be sufficient just to pull the content without the format.

In fact that means we would have to change the form interface and the data gathering methods completely.

Of course, I also got SAP's #1 answer to OSS messages: Its not maintenance but we can do that on a project basis for you.

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stefan,

You can write the same code in the initialize or form:ready event of the main subform, may be that should do the trick!

Chintan

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stefan,

You can write the same code in the initialize or form:ready event of the main subform, may be that should do the trick!

Chintan

nikhilkup
Active Participant
0 Kudos

just check the margins of the page and the subform are same. also if you can give eg then it would be better to understand your problem.