Wat is an Aggregate Thumb Rule?

Thanx

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As with all "rules", you need to consider the context. SAP suggests aggregates where you have summarization (select/trans) of 10 or more or DB access > 30%.

Does that mean I sit down and create aggregates for every Infocube/qeury that exceeds these threshoplds? Of course not. Does it mean I never consider an aggregate where the the results are lower than these thresholds? Of course not, as well.

If I have a query that runs just a few times a month and has a summarization ratio of 50 to 1, and an aggregate would reduce run time by 90%, say from 30 seconds to 3 seconds - I probably wouldn't bother with aggregates at all.

If I have a query that reads a large portion of a large InfoCube and has a summarization ratio of only 8 to 1, on average runs in 5 seconds, and runs perhaps 2,000 times a day, and accounts for use of 60% of my BW's processing resources - I would certainly try aggregates. Even if I could gain only a modest 20% reduction in run time (from 5 to 4 seconds) and system resource, because of the frequency of use and total resource consumption, that 20% reduction transalates to large overall system improvement.

OLAP Cache might also factor into the equation. If you can cache the results once in the morning and never have to hit the DB the rest of the day, do I need an aggregate?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

check this see if it helps -

/people/vikash.agrawal/blog/2006/04/17/query-performance-150-is-aggregates-the-way-out-for-me

regards

Vikash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kumar,

As a rule of thumb, an aggregate is reasonable and may be created, if:

Aggregation ratio > 10Aggregation ratio > 10, I.e. 10 times more records are read than are displayed, AND

Percentage of DB time > 30% Percentage of DB time > 30%, I.e. the time spent on database is a substantial part of the whole query runtime

-Doodle

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

AGGR THUMB RULE IS <= 1/10th SIZE OF THE CUBE..

Percentage of DB time > 30%

We recommend that you create aggregates, especially in the following cases:

· The execution and navigation of query data leads to delays with a group of queries.

· You want to speed up the execution and navigation of a specific query.

· You often use attributes in queries.

· You want to speed up reporting with characteristic hierarchies by aggregating specific hierarchy levels.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/7d/eb683cc5e8ca68e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

-SHREYA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Go for an aggregate if the size of the aggregate is <= 1/10th the size of cube.