cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the description to a key field

Former Member
0 Kudos

How can i get the description to a key field.

For the value request i know the option with the OVS or the search help of the DDIC. But how can i get the description when the user fill the keyfield without using the value request?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to discribe the value in the field.

For example i have a context node for an address. One attribute is a keyfield in this case an addressnumber. An other attribute is a descriptionfield for the value of the keyfield. On the addressexample the city and the street of the address. On the webdynpro is an inputfield element for the addressnumber and a textview element for the description of the address.

If the user enter the addressnumber directly without using the value request, I want to set the descriptionfield with the description for the new addressnumber. How can i do this?

I hope this samll example can explain my problem.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Well the search help uses the data dictionary relationship (importing and exporting parameters of the search help) to export extra data that was retrieved during the search help. For you application, thought, such dynamic lookup is probably overkill. Just use an onEnter event of the inputField. In the event handler (which can also be fired at other points as well), read the context to find the current key value. Then go to the database table for your particular object and read the corresponding text description and set it back into the context.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Do you want the describe of the field or the value in the field?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi daniel,

can you elaborate, what exactly are you doing. a little description with UI elemnts being used will be helpfull. check this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/9f/dbad0435c111d1829f0000e829fbfe/content.htm

greetings

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

To get the description of a key Field, just the read the value of context which is binded to key field.

You could you Code Wizard ( control + F7 ) to do the same.