cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP - Email notification requirement

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I requested for my client's SMTP server name, as well as configured the background job in CUP background job. However, I'm still not getting emails being sent out. Is there anything that needs to be configured at the SMTP end in order for that to recognize GRC is trying to send out an email? There doesn't seem to be any place to input authentication details (assuming a GRC functional mailbox was created by the folks in charge of the SMTP)

I checked the log in CUP and got something which says my SMTP is not recognised:

2009-08-23 04:47:18,506 [Thread-1647] ERROR Cannot send the following email : email id : 13, strFrom : ROLE_APPROVER, strTo : email name <removed>, subject : null

com.virsa.ae.core.AEException: Exception in sending the mail :

at com.virsa.ae.commons.utils.Util.sendEMail(Util.java:1596)

at com.virsa.ae.commons.utils.Util.sendEMail(Util.java:1413)

at com.virsa.ae.service.mail.MailScheduler.sendMail(MailScheduler.java:155)

at com.virsa.ae.service.mail.MailScheduler.execute(MailScheduler.java:59)

at com.virsa.ae.backgroundjobs.BackgroundTask.run(BackgroundTask.java:51)

at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:461)

at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:408)

Caused by:

javax.mail.SendFailedException: Sending failed;

nested exception is:

javax.mail.MessagingException: Unknown SMTP host: relays-intmail.xyz.com;

nested exception is:

java.net.UnknownHostException: relays-intmail.xyz.com

at javax.mail.Transport.send0(Transport.java:219)

at javax.mail.Transport.send(Transport.java:81)

at com.virsa.ae.commons.utils.Util.sendEMail(Util.java:1592)

... 6 more

I'm not overly experienced in this area and appreciate any in-sights from you guys! Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I managed to track down why the SMTP host name was not recognized. Apparently the host name was not maintained at the SMTP host file, and my client's network guy asked me to resolve the server name by IP address, which did the trick, and now I can send our emails.

However, this led to 2 more queries which I would like to seek your advice on:

I tried to configure the background job in CUP -> Config -> Background Jobs

I selected "Email Dispatcher" and chose the option "Other" in the Schedule Type.

What should I set in order to let the job run every 1 minute? I have set

Start time 0.00AM, Start Date 8/24/2009 (which was yesterday's date)

Between 0.00AM AND 11.00PM

Every Second 60, and I ticked Sunday to Saturday (i.e. every day)

then I clicked Save.

Am I doing this correctly?

I have a 2 stage ERM approval. the 1st stage calling webservice to find the approval which is defined in ERM, while the other is using attributes, of which the approver is defined in CUP based on LDAP user details)

For the 1st stage, I notice that when I go select and assign approvers (be it in ERM workflow approval, or in CUP 'Approver' Tab), I noted that some approver name/ID will appear like this

Baldwin (BALDWIN1)

while there are some that appears like

Role_Approver, without the brackets next to it.

I believe this has something to do with the email address, so I checked in the UME all the various parties (role requestor, approver) to make sure each have a valid email address, but I'm still getting the above despite this. Do I need to ensure that any party MUST have a valid and same SAP ID, NT ID (my LDAP) and also UME ID?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Just some updates from my testing:

that background configuration seems to work. I get mails sent out every 1 minute as expected.

I solved this by making sure the approvers have a valid and same UME / NT / SAP ID. this works.

To followup, I was testing out my contents of the mail sent out, got 2 queries:

How do I include things like req number or such? I know you can edit the contents of the mail in the CAD mail portion of CUP, but I cant seem to insert any of the mail arguments (which includes things like req number, name of requestor etc etc). I can see a "VIEW" only, or somethings a URL link.

My approval has one Approver and an Alternate_Approver. When I was trying out the escalation, I noted that the mail sent to the Approver has a "To the Approver" and "From the Requestor", however, when the request gets escalated to the Alternate Approver, I noted that the mail only has a "To the Alternate Approver", but the "From" field of the mail is blank. Is this normal? Can this "From" field be modified to be either the Requestor or Approver?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

For my query #3, I read from this link:

that arguments cannot be added in the email notification?

But I recall seeing Request number details in some demo session from SAP. Is the Request # argument at least something that we can add in our email notifications?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The thread you mentioned clearly mentions that you can not add additional email arguments than the available arguments. Request number is an out of box argument so it is available with the tool. Look at your email notification template and you should be able to see available arguments like request number, path, stage, userid etc.

Regards,

Alpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I checked the Notification Configuration and I see the [Email Arguments] dropdown selection list. However, when I select (e.g. Request Number), the dropdown selection remains at the [Email Argument] selection and I can't insert that argument into the email template. Appreciate your in-sights!

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you select the "Request number" from the [Email Arguments] drop down, it would insert the following string in the email, though the dropdown would still read [Email Arguments]

#_!REQUESTNUMBER#_!

Cheers !!

Zaheer

former_member196034
Participant
0 Kudos

1st. Check your CUP Configuration Tab - Workflow - SMTP Server - Email Server Name.

Should read something like: forwarder.mail.sap.com

2nd. Check your Roles have approvers configured in them in the 'Role Approver' tab of the role.

3rd. Depending on the location of the user store of the user for which you are creating a request, check that their user record contains an E-mail ID in their Email field.

Looking at your log output, it looks like you have an approval stage requiring a Role Approver to approve the stage.

The Role Approver configured in your role must have a user ID in the relevant user store. (UME or ABAP etc.).

Let me know if that helps.

rgds,

Babak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, I've configured what I could in CUP > Configuration > Workflow > SMTP Server, and also in the background job > Email Dispatcher.

I'm not overly experienced in this area. Thanks for pointing this out to me, as most configuration guides that I'm reading only seem to tell the side of the story from CUP.

However, there seems to be a fair bit of configuration required within ECC. Besides executing SCOT and double-clicking on the SMTP node to get the relevant information (the server name should be available here right?), is there anything else I will need to check? I'm reading things like Profiles Parameters, User Maintenance, Assignment to client etc, which is rather very daunting.

Appreciate your advice!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi..

Ok..if you have done configuration in GRC.

When you need to send mail..

You should Configure SCOT with specifying SMTP IP address or host name of the smtp ( Mail server) in ECC 6.0.

Regards

GAngadhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I had recently posted a similar question on the forum where I was not receiving any notifications even after configuring the SMTP information in CUP as well as SCOT.

The email dispatcher job was scheduled to run every 60mins by default so nothing was sent out until the dispatcher job is triggered.

Please check your email dispatcher schedule and see when the next job run is set to be triggered .

If you need to change it to run every 5min or so then please change it by going into

Configuration -->Miscellaneous -> Background job time interval

regards,

Farah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To successfully send email from CUP, you don't have to worry about SCOT or any settings in visual admin.

By looking at the logs, it seems CUP is not able to get email id for the approver. Make sure to maintain email address from all the approvers in your data source. Follow the advice from Babak and you should be able to set up email.

Regards,

Alpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi..

Did you set up the SMTP configuration in CC??

Please follow the steps below.

Configuring the SMTP Server in RAR(CC)

1. On the Configuration tab, navigate to Workflow > SMTP Server.

The SMTP Server screen appears.

2. In the Email Server Name field, enter the name of the SMTP server that Compliant User

Provisioning uses to transmit messages.

3. Click Save

4. To send the emails, run the Email Dispatcher as a background job.

IN THE ECC system.

Configure the SMTP ...

Tcode>> SCOT>>

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/2b/d925bf4b8a11d1894c0000e8323c4f/frameset.htm

Hope this will help you setting up SMTP.

Regards

Gangadhar