cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we use CTP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi APO Gurus,

I am working on a CDP seanario ( characteristic dependent planning) . The products are configured at the time of sales order creation. We are using variant configuration. Just wanted to know can we use CTP ?

regards,

ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravindra,

MTS products normally would not go through Planned Order creation based on Sales Order(through CTP check) since it is expected that forecast creates the planned order.

MTO products would have the planned order only when the sales order is entered and would be created through the CTP check.The planned order would be created in its unique segment.

Block Planning can be used in both scenarios. It should not harm if you use CTP and MTS, since they are not expected to be talking to each other.

But sometimes you might see some issues for MTS items when using CTP.

Kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kedar & Bipin ,

Thanks a lot for your guidence. My question is answered.

Regards,

Ravi

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well in that case the CTP would still work only for MTO, since i assume that major of times, in case of MTS items, the sales order would consume the forecast against which the stock would already be available.

In case of CTP, you would create a planned order in a correct block and promise based on the same.

Kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravindra,

I assume you would be doing the partially configured products. With this, you normally would use MTO as strategy. If this makes sense, then it makes sense to use CTP, since the promise that you would get against a sales order would be more practical if you also have some characteristics propagated.

CTP, MTO and Block Planning make the entire planning process less error prone.

Kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kedar,

Thanks for your answer. The products used here are both MTS & MTO.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ravindra,

To answer your query, you can use CTP for MTS and MTO both. However, business planning wise, it's not advisory for CTP in MTS. Because, MTS production is based on forecast and sales orders are created for actual dispatch of materials.

When using CDP, it's advisable (again) to go for MTO. But CDP works limited for MTS. In MTO, each planning material has fixed characteristics and same are entered in SO. the production is planned according to sales order configuration. Hence, each customer segment is unique.

If you are using CDP with MTS, then there are limits of getting forecasted requirements in characteristics that PPDS/VC would understand. CTP with MTS is similar to MTO, because, CTP will trigger production of those planning materials variants that are not planned through forecast.

Block planning with MTS is feasible.

Again, if you are using PPM, then CDP has lots of limitations, specially if you have resource selection based on characteristics (object dependencies).

Regards,

Bipin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

Since you are using CDP, I understand that you are not using VC.

Yes, you can use CTP for triggering production in CDP scenario. This makes more sense if you are having planning materials/KMAT and MTO scenario. In MTS, it would be difficult since you would be producing using forecasted demand.

Also, you need PDS for CDP and not PPM. PPM can certainly be used, however the configuration would be very complex in case of Characteristics.

Regards,

Bipin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bipin,

Thanks for your answer. In SPRO , configuration schema , I want to go for CDP ( not VC) .

My question was , still can I use the process of configuring the product is sales order with the use of standard variant configuration

And at the sales order entry can I use CTP for planning?

Regards,

Ravi