cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Solution and Project in Solution Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All ,

Could anybody clarify me what is the difference between Solution and Project in SAP Solution Manager ?

As I have seen they have the same hierarchy and functions . So I do not understand when I need to create a Project and when I need to create a Solution .

Appreciate your help ,

Evgeny

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Solution

A Solution is meant indead as a stable environment. You can use it to build monitoring, business process monitoring, early watch alerts and so for a live system. SAP will also use the solutions in your Solution Manager to give feedback if you make use of their service offering (eg technical feasiblity check). I don't agree with the statement that it contains re-usable building blocks for future projects. Use template projects for this purpose. Don't create too much solutions (examples: HR, Logistics, accounting, one for an industry solution). you may have several projects. It take too much work to redo all monitoring setup if you create new solutions too often. Try to assign systems to just one solution if possible. It makes monitoring and early watch and so a lot easier. You can "build" a solution in time by doing several projects.

Projects

Projects are related to the live cycle of projects. In projects you have other possibilities: you can create blueprint documents and configuration guides out of it, you can use the transaction solar_eval to report on the content of the project (has each business process steps assigned to in the business blueprint structure for instance). A project belongs to just one solution. You need two different projects if you want to change two solutions. This is way you should think first very well what system and functionality you will position in which solution. When a project is finished, you can easily transfer its content (stucture, documents, linked transactions, IMG objects....) to the proper solution. For enhancement projects, you can also start from a copy from the information in the solution.

summary

first decide about solution setup, then create content via projects.

Hope this answer give more light on it.

Best regards,

Geert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I see your comments very interesting. Now I would like to get your view about how to maintain scenarios and processes which are already in a solution but also are part of existing global template and rollout. In that global template you introduce some modifications such as a new step with a new transaction. How you manage to move those modifications into the solution? I see that report sa_project_upgrade does not apply to solutions. I also see that in solution you can use shortcuts, instead copying the process (i do not know understand how will affect Business Process Monitoring)

Can you please explain, how it should work, what are the alternatives, advantages and cons? I appreciate very much.

Regards

Esteban Hartzstein

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Normally, if you change something in a solutoin, you do this by means of a Maintenance Project.

You can check-out structure objects, and they then come available in the related Maintenance Project.

There you can do your trick(s) > Customizing / Development / Document / Test / Create new/changed Training Material.

When the change is taken over to the "live" environment (to Production), you do a check-in from the maintenance project back to the solution.

That's it.

New or bigger functionallity is built in a Template/Implementation project and put into the solution.

For this you can use the solution as a reference instead of the BPR or another project.

This way you can "replace" the current content in the solution by the new content.

So you have two options, in relation to the size of the changes and the number of changes.

With kind regards,

Rik Vriens

http://www.purple-it.com

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys ,

Thank you to all of you for very detail clarifications .

cheers,

Evgeny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you start with an SAP implementation, you create a Solution Manager project containing details about your system landscape, scenarios, processes, process steps, SAP transactions, blueprint docs, config objects, config docs, test docs, test scripts, etc.

Once your project is stabilized, once you have gone-live you want certain systems in your landscape to be monitored(eg. PROD systems), you want certain business processes to be monitored(eg. business critical processes) - such kind of systems and processes will become part of your Solution.

Hope it clarifies.

best regds,

Alagammai.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In a project we try to manage the whole life cycle of the solution. A project may contain one or more solutions.

The solution matures as the project runs through the various phases.

Hope this made sense.

Cheers

A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You create a solution with the SAP Solution Manager, which serves as a template for your implementation project. The solution contains a package of reusable preconfigured content.

Project in Solution Manager is used to administrate, specify the scope, Landscape, organize tests, define business blueprint and configure scenarios, customize distribution, etc....