Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding ITS 6.20 Kernel Patch 33

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

My customer has ITS Servers (Standalone 6.20) with the following specs.

Kernel: ITS 6.20 Kernel patch 33 - (64 bit kernel)

Operating System: Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition (64 bit kernel)

Machine Type: AMD

RAM: 4GB

Before upgrade, we had a patch 21 (32-bit ) AGATE which used to keep on accumulating memory till it restarted on reaching the 2GB limit.

Now we after patching, although it doesn't restart after reaching 2GB, it still continues to occupy memory, even after all sessions have cancelled or been logged off.

Is there a way to avoid this? are we missing any parameter?

Regards,

Siddhesh

Edited by: Siddhesh Ghag on Aug 21, 2009 6:27 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member316351
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Siddhesh,

In general the AGate will not release memory once it has been allocated memory. It sounds more like you need to properly size the AGate configuration so that it does not reach the 2gb limit.

Please use the ITS ADM tool to properly size the AGate instance or use note 550549 for help. Thank you.

Edgar

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Edgar,

Thank you for your response, I think that note needs to be updated.

Since, Windows 2003 Server 64-bit edition no longer has 2GB process limit.

In fact, I was a bit surprised to know that once AGATE acquires memory it doesn't leave the memory.

Does this mean, we will have to plan for AGATE restarts every night, to ensure that AGATE releases the memory it acquires?

Regards,

Siddhesh

Edited by: Siddhesh Ghag on Aug 25, 2009 11:16 AM

former_member316351
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Siddhesh,

The reason that the AGate will not release all of the memory that it acquires is for performance. In general, allocating and releasing memory is a time consuming process, therefore the thought is that if your AGate needed the memory once it will probably need it again. Why do you want to force it to release the memory? If the AGate is properly configured the process will not take up more than the 2gb (or 3gb if the flag is set in 64bit OS) therefore you should not have to worry about the AGate process consuming more than the limit per process. It is important to make the distinction that the AGate will consume memory, but only up to the configured limits. Therefore I do not understand why there is a need to restart daily.

Best regards,

Edgar

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Edgar,

I understood what you said, we will do as you said.

Regards,

Siddhesh