cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch Number

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

How can i automatically assign a batch number using DI API or UI API? My client don't want to input anymore the batch number during GRPO. So he wants the automatic generation of batch number without any user intervention in the batch number screen. Is this possible?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185703
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are only 2 options:

1. Work with GRPO through DI API entirely... (Document, DocumentLines, Batches)

2. Help the user through some UI API tricks (launch / handle forms through UI API code + fill in the data through UI API)... so that at least he doesn't have to click and (eventually) type

Regards,

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

I just used the stored procedure of SAP to automatically assign batch numbers during creation of GRPO. And i think it is the best way to use the stored procedure for simultaneous creation purpose. Thanks...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gilbert,

Are you sure this is supported by SAP? I remember reading that calling SBO's stored procedures would be prohibited together with directly manipulating the database (unless otherwise instructed by SAP).

Henry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

I don't think so, because i had used this stored procedure in some of my client's applications. And also my boss instructed me to used it if possible.

former_member185703
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gilbert,

What is "<u>the</u> stored procedure of SAP "?

Are you talking about SBO_SP_...?

Regards,

Frank

former_member185703
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Henry + Gilbert,

You should distinguish between requirements for certification vs. SAP Support:

Certification requirements are of course somewhat more strict than SAP Support rules.

SAP Support just does not like direct writes to B1 tables + Triggers. That's it - at least ASFAIK.

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

I wonder if there is any sort of official or even unofficial document about the tricks that SAP support allows us to do? Currently there is a lot of guesswork involved.

In some cases, SAP support even recommends direct manipulation of database (for instance for copying layouts in pre-2005 versions). Sometimes even client functions are not supported. I learned this the hard way when I was counting on using the year transfer tool for copying masterdata from development environment to production environment (this was with 2004 before there were such tools as Copy Express). When I contacted SAP Support about trouble with the year transfer tool, they bluntly told me it's not supported at all in my country, so I'll get no support either. Yeah, there was some small print in the online help, but I just couldn't imagine I need to check the online help for each function just to see if it's supported or not.

Henry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Just my 2 cents: Here you have a post about what is recomended, and what we are able to do in SAP words, about user tables, SP, database direct access...

Hope helps,

Ibai Peñ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ibai,

Thanks for the pointer, that is an interesting thread. It answered some of the questions I've had, but it also opens some new ones.

I am especially curious about the reason user-defined functions and stored procedures are completely forbidden from the SBO database. If it is allowed to store them in another database, I can accomplish exactly the same functionality by creating them in another database but have them retrieve data from the SBO database. It's just causing a lot more fuss to deal with all these workarounds.

I have used user-defined functions for some advanced reporting purposes. I can't see what could possibly go wrong if I'm only using SPs and user-defined functions for data retrieval and I am always using our namespace in the name of the SP/function.

The thread didn't say anything about views. Are they forbidden as well ?

Henry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I´m going to create a new thread with this topic, and hope Frank (is usually who answers this kind of question) could help us a little more.

I do also have some doubts yet.

Regards,

Ibai Peñ

former_member185703
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Again, please keep the disctinction between certification

and Support in mind!

The official document for certification is the "Test Plan" as published on the SAP ICC pages here on SDN (there's a remark on views as well):

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/81a22ee1-0701-0010-45aa-ec8...

I didn't hear that SAP Support would not allow anything except Triggers..., but maybe this is just because I don't deal with them every day

About the reasons:

Maximum DB platform independence (so that the customer does not have to worry whether it will take a larger development project to support e,g, sth else than MS SQL) + smoothness of upgrades + efficiency in the certification process (not to mention the basic compliance issue not to write into B1 tables) are the most important reasons behind the requirements.

Allowing to use SPs etc in another DB is some kind of "emergency exit" for partners who already developed their solutions and now want to get certified.

This is not the recommended way to work to my understanding!

HTH a bit,

Frank

Message was edited by: Frank Moebius

Answers (0)