cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade SOLMAN Kernel

wayne_kuykendall
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have a question about upgrading the kernel. I am running SPS 17 on AIX 64-Bit UNICODE. I am running kernel release 700 patch 201. When I downloaded the kernel files I noticed there were some other files available that were newer than the kernel files I downloaded. For example under Kernel 700 64 Bit UNICODE -> AIX 64 Bit -> Database Independent - I downloaded the file SAPEXE_2010000978.SAR with a date of 6/3/2009. The the other files here SAPJ2EE_52-20000978.SAR date 7/17/2009, dw_220-20000978.SAR date 8/21/2009 and others are newer then the SAPEXE.SAR file. This seems to be the same under the Oracle Database kernel file link there are newer files then the SAPEXEDB_201-20000979.SAR. My question is what is the normal procedure for upgrading the kernel. Should I download the SAPEXE.SAR and SAPEXEDB*.SAR files and also download the files that have a newer date stamp then the SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB files.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Normally, you should upgrade the kernel only with these two files you mentioned as these contain almost all of the components and normally it's better to be at 'default' version or package level of all the EXEs.

However, sometimes due to some issues, whenver we want to upgrade a single or some of the components, then we need to download those other files.

So, it's better to go ahead with only those two.

However, if you still want to have some of the components to the newer versions as compared the version they would have been if supplied with EXE and EXEDB, THEN, according the kernel upgrade procedure, first extract the EXE and EXEDB files and then extract those other component files which are separately downloaded. This is to make sure that, those separate component versions are not 'overwritten' by the default supplied components in EXE and EXEDB extracts.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

wayne_kuykendall
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks to both of you for your quick response.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you want to patch your kernel to the very latest one download

- SAPEXE

- SAPEXEDB

and all files that are newer than the upload date of those two above.

Extract first the SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB - then all the others.

Markus