cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Look-Ups

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

1.Can you tell me what exactly the look-ups are?

2.Please tell me about the RFC and JDBC look-ups.

3.Also please tell me how many data types do I need to create for For JDBC <---> RFC sync ?

4.From my point of view I should create 2 data types ,2 message types for JDBC Request and JDBC Response while I can skip creating data types for Receiving RFC side.Is it?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lookups are for picking certain value from database based on one key value. The implementation and other details should be searched on SDN.

while I can skip creating data types for Receiving RFC side.Is it?

You will import the RFC strcuture in IR. So no need to create datatype for it. For JDBC side, your understanding is correct.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me the followings?

1.Can you tell me about when are RFC,JDBC,CSV look-ups are used?

2.I think look ups are nothing but the User Defined Functions.Is it?Please tell me in detail.

3.Please give me any scenerio about the implementation of RFC,JDBC,CSV look-ups .

Thanks in advance.

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since you are on PI7.1 this blog will help you on JDBC/ RFC lookup: /people/jin.shin/blog/2008/02/15/sap-pi-71-mapping-enhancements-series-graphical-support-for-jdbc-and-rfc-lookups

Regards,

Abhishek.

former_member750652
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swetha,

1.Can you tell me about when are RFC,JDBC,CSV look-ups are used? 

Look ups can be useful in any where, especially when we like to map the value that is reseided in some other application system and that value tend to change or get updated very frequently in that system .So as to get the recently updated values we prefer this .if it doesnot happen we cn directly go for hardcoding either by using Fixed values or value mapping.If the value is queried from R/3 we use RFC look ups.If the value is to be retived from Database we go for JDBC.

2.I think look ups are nothing but the User Defined Functions.Is it?Please tell me in detail.

Look ups need not not only Java functions we can do that in BPMs remember Filr to RFC to FIle using BPM scenario there we get values from RFC response too in Bpm .But this is again a performance issue with out using UDF.But its very easy to perform the lookups using UDF.Even SAP has provided good JavaAPI to perform lookups according to requirement.In most of the cases we use lookups for querying single values.But in PI7.1 there has been added advantage in the form of Graphical lookups to avoid java code and maintin reusability.The link was mentioned by experts already.

3.Please give me any scenerio about the implementation of RFC,JDBC,CSV look-ups .

I am giving example which i came across while working with EDI documents in SEEBURGER environment.There was a field value "TE" in some segment, while mapping to target i should get the Defintion forTE wich was maintained in some other data base and map to the target side, for that purpose we had to use JDBC look up and ping the data base to retrive the required value as the result of Lookup. So when i applied look up i got the value "TELEPHONE" for the code TE.The same way for FX the lookup result was FASCIMILE.Not only this for PLANTCODES and some other business related data we might need to use Lookups...Hope you understood my point.

Thanks,

Ram.

former_member750652
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swetha,

Duplicate post........above has appeared again.so deleted

Thanks,

Ram.

Edited by: Ramakrishna kopparaju on Aug 28, 2009 7:30 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramakrishna,

Thanks for the reply.

Shall we avoid using look ups for better performance?

If not then please give me some simpl;e scenerio to implement the small look-up.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

Thanks for the reply.

If not then please give me some simpl;e scenerio to implement the small look-up.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shweta,

---> Definitely if we can, but not at the cost of project deliverable .

If not then please give me some simple scenario to implement the small look-up.

-

> Try this :

Do a simple file to file scenario :-

Pass values like EmpID , Location from sender side

At Receiver side You should be able to receive Emp Name and Location .

In between you need to perform lookup from a jdbc table @ mapping time. In the JDBC table relation between EmpID and Emp Name should be maintained. an don run time Emp Id will get converted to Emp Name using mentioned lookup table .

This blog will help you complete this : /people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/08/23/lookup146s-in-xi-made-simpler

This beautiful discussion will help you more :

Regards,

former_member750652
Contributor
0 Kudos

HI swetha ,

You can simulate the above mentioned scenario in RFC Lookup also.The following link has the step by step procedure explained clearly with screen shots and this is widely used .First try to find out the RFC- (RFC_READ_TABLE), work around it ,understand the functionality of RFC and proceed further following the article .The importance of the RFC_READ_TABLE is that it makes the Look up a very generic one.Coz we are passing required Table name,Input,Business system,Comm channel as input parameters to the UDF and gettting the required value from RFC response as UDF output . Instead of making it specific by hard coding all the values (Table name,Input,Business system,Comm channel) inside the UDF.Do revert back with your queries for any issues.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/70d90a91-3cf4-2a10-d189-bfd37d9c3231&override...

Thanks,

Ram.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

answered

Former Member
0 Kudos

As given in the help

If you wanted to execute calls to an application system during a mapping, you could use the Java Connector (JCo), for example. Calls of this kind are known as lookups

Some mapping programs require additional data from an application system to map messages to each other. Furthermore, you may want to reuse existing mapping routines from an application system.

The lookup API contains methods for generically accessing application systems by using the RFC, JDBC, and SOAP adapters.

for details refer [http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/cf/406642ea59c753e10000000a1550b0/content.htm]

good link for rfc lookup [http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/70d90a91-3cf4-2a10-d189-bfd37d9c3231&overridelayout=true

]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kubra,

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi shweta ,

1.Can you tell me what exactly the look-ups are?

---> Look up means looking at a particular place for some information . the Place a can be a SAP table , a DB table, file also... etc

check it .

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/8e7daa90-0201-0010-9499-cd347ffb...

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/08/23/lookup146s-in-xi-made-simpler

2.Please tell me about the RFC and JDBC look-ups.

RFC lookup - Is used when we need to look at SAP DB for values

For RFC lookup : /people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/12/21/use-this-crazy-piece-for-any-rfc-mapping-lookups

while JDBC lookups is for RDBMS tables

/people/alessandro.guarneri/blog/2006/03/27/sap-xi-lookup-api-the-killer

/people/varadharajan.krishnasamy/blog/2007/02/27/configuring-jdbc-connector-service-to-perform-database-lookups

CSV lookup : /people/sundararamaprasad.subbaraman/blog/2005/12/09/making-csv-file-lookup-possible-in-sap-xi

3.Also please tell me how many data types do I need to create for For JDBC <---> RFC sync ?

JDBC - 1 Sender

1 Receiver

RFC- 0 fro RFC as you will be importing the RFC from SAP hence not reuiqrd to create datatype.

4.From my point of view I should create 2 data types ,2 message types for JDBC Request and JDBC Response while I can skip creating data types for Receiving RFC side.Is it?

Very much right !!!

Hope it all helps !!!

Regards,

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) Look-ups are wways to get some information based on the information you already have.

2) For example, you have a Company Code value and you wants its description. The relation between the Company Code and its description is stored in a SAP database table. There is a RFC function module which takes the input as the company code and retrieves the company description.

This RFC function module can be called from a User Defined function in Message mapping.

This is called a RFC look-up.

If the relation between the company code and its description is store in a database table (SAP or Non-SAP), then you can go for a JDBC look up.

For more information , please search the intenet or the forum.

Regards,

Ravi