cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging Workflows

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to easily debug workflows and find out which activities the dispatcher is actually performing.

While I can easily find job that have been executed in the job list, I'm not able to see what activities have been performed in between these jobs. I would e.g. like to see whether a switch task has been executed and the result was or what the result of a conditional task was.

Are there any best practices you could share for debugging workflows? Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Holger

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gee Holger, you can write a book about this one...

When debugging you can always just watch the job logs and maybe go so far as creating a separate dispatcher for testing them just so that they are better organized.

However, when testing I usually like to use the uErrMsg function which will put information out to the job log. It's probably the easiest way to pass status messasges and track what's going on.

When debugging LDAP tasks, I'll also frequently use the checkbox to force LDIF output to make it easier to see what's being written.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

that's what I have been doing to so far, but I was hoping that there is a better way to debug IC workflows. What I cannot really cover with the debug messages is how tasks are linked and why task B has been called after task A (e.g. due to an error condition).

And debug messages unfortunately do not work for switch tasks. So I just created empty dummy debug jobs for each branch in the switch task, but that's not really a nice solution.

Best regards

Holger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Holger,

At the moment, I think you've got the right idea. Just place a dummy task in maybe with a uErrMsg notification.

Can't really think of a better way to track at the moment. Let me know if you do though!

Matt

oliver_nocon
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

check out the monitoring tab of the IdM administration (WebDynpro UI).

Select "Provisioning Audit" and define your search criteria.

You get a general task hierarchy. Click on the top task you are interested in and have a look at the details below.

here you see the individual sub-tasks.

That should give you the insight you asked for.

As a best practice I would always use a dedicated dispatcher for debugging as already mentioned above.

Best regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver,

where can I find the Monitoring tab? My admin has privileges to see the history, manage, todo and report tabs. Is there a way to show another tab? I thought such a monitoring tab was only available with SAP IDM 7.0.

Best regards

Holger

oliver_nocon
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

you get the monitoring tab through assigning the UME action idm_monitoring_administration to the user.

This is done indirectly through creation of a UME role.

The whole procedure and additional UME actions are explained in the install guide of the 7.1 UI.

Best regards,

Oliver

Answers (0)