cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between bw technical and functional consultant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new bw. can anybody tell me what is the difference between the bw technical consultant and functional consultant.

thanks and regards

bhaskar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

If you work on a specific Application area in BW like say FI, MM, PP , etc. you are a BW functional. BW functional would not do any development but they are rather in charge of overseeing whether the specific application functionality is implemented or not. They rather look for the functionality and not for the underlying code.

Functional skills..Knowledge of taking user requirements,and designing the functional and technical specs according to the requirements,determine what customizations are required in the system.Such a person needs strong 'functional background' of the source system and the functional areas involved..example SD,Finance,MM,Utilities,Inventory Mgmt etc.

Sort of skills required by person at design and blueprint phase.

But if you are working across application areas then you are BW technical. They are the ones who do all the development like creating BW objects and activating them.

developing BW objects according to the design specs(FS and TS),data modeling skills,ABAP coding skills for routines and exits.Sort of skills required by person working in development phase of work.

Generally Technical people are expected to have some basic functional knowledge. But if they really have very good functional knowledge in 1 area then they are generally called "Techno-functional".

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhaskar,

Just sent a document on Roles and skills of a BW Consultant to ur mail id preetham16@yahoo.com. Check and confirm the same.

Cheers,

Aravindhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would also be interested in a document on Roles and skills of a BW consultant. Can you forward that to ann.teeters@philips.com?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Bw Functional means if u r working in any specific functional side like MM,PP,FI,HR, then u can say that he is Bw functional.

BW technical guy mainly works in developing /implementing BW. they r responsible

for implemnting cubes, declaring info objects, implementing quereis and roles.

Shreya