cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

steps in Key mapping

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

i have gone through many forum's regarding key mapping.

i can see that the following are used..

--> remote systems

--> key mapping option in table-field properties

--> key mapping option in table properties.

-->key generation(none, range, qualified range) field in remote system properties.

But never understood like in which order we need to define all the above, what is the relation b/w them.

i have gone through some theory in sdn regarding key mapping but unable to get the logic..

can any one one show me with 2 records in 2 tables so, that i can clear my confusion.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

phani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Key Mapping is basically used when you want to maintain individuality of each RS and parallely consolidate data in MDM.

e.g.

RS1

Table- Country

Field: Country Name- India

Country Code- IND

RS2

Table- Country

Field: Country Name- India

Country Code- INDIA.

So when Data from both the systems gets consolidated in MDM it will be stored as 1 record but with diff keys for each RS. You can that in Data Manager by Right clicking on the record and goin to edit key mapping tab(After you import data into MDM from both the RS)

Steps for key Mapping:

1. Define Inbound/outbound Remote system.

2. Enable key mapping to"Yes" for the countries table.

3. Keep Key Generation-None.

4. while importing record select the RS1 and the import file.

5. Create a clone of The Key field you want to set(Country code in this case)

6. map clone to country code in destination side, country code to Remote ket, and Country name to country name.

7. Select import action to create.

8. import the record.

9. Check in data manager (countries lookup table) the records , right click on record and u'll see Key for the the RS1.

Perform similar step for RS2 and u'll be able to see the keys for both the RS maintained as asingle record.

While syndicating also when u select the RS only keys for that particular RS will ket syndicated.

Hope this helps.

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i created a Countries table and executed all the steps as mentioned above.

*while importing the data of RS2, in matching mode tab i selected as 'update all mapped fields'.

now i can see one record in DM

Country name: india

Country code: INDIA

when i right click this record and see the edit key mapping , i can see that

Countryname: india

Remotesystem: RS1

KEY: IND

is this corect?If so, By this i can understand that the second record overwritten the first one(because *while importing the data of RS2, in matching mode tab i selected as 'update all mapped fields'.). I dont see any role of key mapping till now ..!!

Did i miss something?

*Between, you said to activate key mapping for the table, then what is the use of option keyy mapping at field level properties?

Could you please help me..

Regards

phani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Some mapping error i guess:

Do it in the following manner

1 connect to RS1

2.Select the import file.

3.Clone the Code field on Source side.

4. Map Clone to Remote key, Code to code, Name to Name.

5. Select Name as the matchinf field in Match Records.

5. Select "Create" import Action.

6 Perform similar steps for RS2 till step No 5.

7. Select " Upadate(NULL Fieilds only) in import action.

8. Perform import.

Now check in data manager, u'll see 1 record with multiple keys.

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

That worked, Thanks.

But i dont understand what we achived.

when we used "Upadate(NULL Fieilds only)" it will not update the record which was inserted by RS2.

At the same time i can see 2 records in 'Edit key mappings', what is the use of this and what we achived using clone and key mapping option?

Can you please let me know what we want and to achive that what we have done?

Please help me..

Regards

Phani

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Phani,

first you should understand the basic idea of key mapping. MDM usually wants to consolidate master (objects like vendors, customers, and so on) and/or reference (lookup tables like countries, regions, and so on) data. The idea is to load this data from various remote systems into MDM, compare and match the data, and in some cases merge multiple records into a single one. Let's take an example.

Image you have attache two remote systems to MDM. The first is an ERP system, the second a CRM system. Both system contains countries as reference data. In ERP, your country India looks like

Name = India

Code = INDIA

whereas in CRM it looks like

Name = India

Code = IND

It is obvious that the country is the same, but the systems use a different internal code. Now you load this data into MDM. What do you do? Do you want to create two records having different codes? Or do you want to "merge" the indentical records into a single one. The common decision in MDM is the second one.

But what happens now if you send customers from ERP and CRM to MDM? Usually the Customer message contains the Country CODE but not the Country NAME. From ERP the message could look like:

Customer = Mr. X

Country = INDIA

whereas from CRM the message could look like

Customer = Mr. X

Country = IND

Surely you want to map the different code in both case to the same country "India". That's why you use key mapping in MDM. Key Mapping allows MDM to store different codes for the same data. So in MDM you store just one record, but if you receive and/or send data from and/or to remote systems, you can always ensure that you store and/or send the correct codes.

Hope that clarifies your doubts about key mapping in general?

OK, now regarding your question about "Update NULL fields only":

In Import Manager you have several options for data import. If you import for the very first time (for RS1), your table in MDM is usually empty. That why you need to "Create" the records. If you import the second time (for RS2), your table in MDM already contains data. Depending on the matching field for import, several options are now possible. If Import Manager is not able to match the record you want to import against any other existing in the repository, you have to "Create" the new record. If Import Manager is able to match the record that you want to import with a record of your repository table, you can choose what happens next. "Update NULL fields only" compares the record you want to import with the existing values in MDM. In your case, following info is already part in MDM:

Country = India

Code = INDIA

Remote Key RS1 = INDIA

Remote Key RS2 = NULL

Now the file you want to import contains the following values:

Remote System = RS2

Country = India

Code = IND

Import Manager identifies that only "Remote Key RS2" is NULL. All other fields already have values. As you choose to "Update NULL Fields only", only Remote Key RS2 gets a new value. If you choose a different option, e.g. "Update All Mapped Fields" Import Manager would update the Country and Code fields, too.

Best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Would suggest you to read the console reference guide first, section on remote key and remote systems for better understanding.

A record(country in your case) can have multiple key mappings depending upon the source systems(RS1 and RS2) and these information is required while we need to syndicate selective data to the target systems.

best regards

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Great, now i got wats inside key mapping.

Well, all that we discussed is about inbound part of key mapping.

For outbound i can see 'key generation' is involved.It would be great if you take some extra pain in explaining me how we can work with outbound options..

One general question:

we have come across key mapping option at table level, But i can even see a key mapping option at field level too!!! when should we use this option ??

Regards

Phani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

can anyone help me in the above request.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have explained the terms like Range, Qualified Range which are related to Outbound only, check the above post. Can you please tell me which fields have Kep Mapping property? I guess you are slightly confused between Key Mapping and Keyword. Keyword is use to search the field.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Phani,

that's correct, there is nothing to add from my side to Jitesh's reply.

Key Mapping on a single field does not exist in MDM. Key Mapping can be applied for a full record in a table only (except tuples).

Best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, i just misinterpreted keyword with keymapping at field level.

Thats my mistake!!

Thanks once again.

Regards

PH

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the below explanation

Remote System - Used for Sending/Receving data.

1. Create the Remote System based on whether you want to Import data in MDM (Inbound) or you want to send data out from MDM (Outbound)

2. Set the Key Mapping property to yes for the tables of which Records you want to store key mapping information.

Key Generation comes into picture when your Remote system is of type Outbound i.e. when you want to send data out from MDM to other systems.

None - You need to manually assign the key mapping information to the records

Range - You dont need to assign manual key mapping information, each and every record will automatically get the keys from the range specified. This would be visible once you syndicate the file.

Qualified Range - This is useful when you want to generate keys based on some values of look tables. E.g. you have one lookup table with values say ABC and PQR and the requirement is to keep the range for ABC is 10 to 20 and for PQR you want 100 to 200.

3. Open the MDM Syndicator with the Remote System to which you want to send data and perform the mapping accordingly. Execute the Syndication and check the output file. You will find the key mapping information set for the Remote system.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

can some expert respond to my query in detail?

Regards

Phani9999