Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settings for SAP XI/PI Scenarios

former_member192105
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am in the process of learning SAP PI and would be happy if somebody clears my doubts about backend settings when executing a scenario.

1) We use RFC destinations when IDOC/ RFC/ HTTP is send to XI; do we use the same kind of RFC destinations when XI sends IDOC/RFC/HTTP to a target system? If I am not wrong then while sending the IDOC/RFC/HTTP from SAP XI the RFC destination is maintained on the SAP XI system and not on the SAP system.

2) When we do a SOAP scenario what backend settings are to be maintained? What/ Which is the port that should be able to cross the Firewall settings? Where is this to be maintained?

For executing some webservices we need to have Internet Connectivity, where should this setting be mentioned so that my XI/ PI server is able to make a call (request/ response) to a webservice which is hosted on Internet.

3) When we setup a File server do we need to maintain any special setting other than installing the file server in the same system where the XI/ PI is installed? Please correct if my understanding is wrong.

I have similar questions (on establishing connectivity) with systems like Database(JDBC) and Email scenarios.

The above questions may be too basic for experts, but for me they are like advance topics. So please help me understand the concepts.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

do we use the same kind of RFC destinations

Not necessarily. The Type of RFC destination might not be same. e.g RFC sender uses TCP/IP RFC destination at sender.

while sending the IDOC/RFC/HTTP from SAP XI the RFC destination is maintained on the SAP XI system

Yes it is. But if you check the details of that RFC destination, it uses the login information of the receiver system and the user used is maintained in receiver system.

When we do a SOAP scenario what backend settings are to be maintained?

Firewall is not an issue which you should configure or handle yourself.

For executing some webservices we need to have Internet Connectivity,

Only when the webservice is outside your Intranet.

3) When we setup a File server do we need to maintain any special setting other than installing the file server in the same system where the XI/ PI is installed?

FTP can be installed on Any system. It needs not to be present on XI machine.

You are asking too many doubts in 1 question. Now on, separate your doubts logically and ask not more than 2 questions in one thread. The format in which you have asked questions may make the potential repliers feel tired.

Regards,

Prateek

former_member192105
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Thanks you for your replies.

For executing some webservices we need to have Internet Connectivity,
Only when the webservice is outside your Intranet.

Yes, this is my requirement. Suppose I want to call a freely available webservice (like some calculator service) hosted on Internet, so what backend settings will be needed. I have successfully configured SOAP scenarios, but never did any admin/ backend work.

You are asking too many doubts in 1 question.

Yes, even I thought of it before posting. Feared that posting them differently will cause many replies on how to configure a SOAP/ FILE or other scenario using IR and ID (which I do not need)

@Jyothi - blogs look good, may take sometime for me to read. Will get back to you if need any more info.

Thanks.

former_member750652
Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Abhishek,

I dont think any additional internet connectivity settings are required to make use of external webservies available in the internet .If you have connection to internet SOAP channel pings webservices through the SOAP url that you mention in the communication automatically and consumes the webservice through SOAP action.

Thanks,

Ram.

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhsishek,

You have given only half of your requirement.

YOu said you want to call a webservice, but did not mention what application calls this webservice via XI.

Say, if you want to have an ABAP appliaction call this webservice via XI and display it in SAP, then your scenario would technically become a ABAP Proxy to SOAP scenario.

The prequisites in that case would be:

/people/vijaya.kumari2/blog/2006/01/26/how-do-you-activate-abap-proxies

Note that there would not be any settings that need to be made to call a webservice.

However, you can try to open the webservice url in the XI Development system's physical box to see if your XI system can "SEE" the webservice without any issues.

How do I logon to my XI system's physical server?

Try remote login using windows (Run command mstsc) and give the IP address of your XI system.

YOu will be prompted to enter a UID and PWD.

You should not enter your xi system's uid and pwd .YOu should get the Network user id for that system from your basis.

Or you can ask your basis to check what you want to check.

Regards,

Ravi kanth Talagana

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jyothi_anagani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abishek,

Refer this link...These will really help you...

[Aspirant to learn SAP XI...You won the Jackpot if you read this!-Part I|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/5378] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

[Aspirant to learn SAP XI...You won the Jackpot if you read this!-Part II|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/5383] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

You read this part3 , Here she has explained about all the Adapters Explanation.

[Aspirant to learn SAP XI...You won the Jackpot if you read this!-Part III|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/5393] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

Thanks.