cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle export Backup, expdp VS R3load

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I'm planning to do a export dump of a SAP/Oracle system to save as a "year backup".

What is the advantages/disadvantages if we compare Oracle's expdp vs SAP's R3load?

The database is about 1000GB, and the export window will be only about 24 hours.

My experience is that the expdp tool is much faster, but the R3load tool will make a much small dump (but will need a longer run time).

The system is a ERP 6.0, Unicode running on Oracle 10 (Unix).

//FR

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I'm planning to do a export dump of a SAP/Oracle system to save as a "year backup".

An export is not a backup!

With an export you cannot restore & recover a database instance.

You can load data into a new instance.

What's wrong with taking a complete consistent offline backup to a separate "year backup" tape?

> What is the advantages/disadvantages if we compare Oracle's expdp vs SAP's R3load?

Well, the big disadvantage is: Oracle's expdb/exp is supported only to be used with offline reorgs or specific data rescure measurements.

Technically you can far too easily ruin the data by using the Oracle tools.

> The database is about 1000GB, and the export window will be only about 24 hours.

Then, please, just make a backup.

> My experience is that the expdp tool is much faster, but the R3load tool will make a much small dump (but will need a longer run time).

>

> The system is a ERP 6.0, Unicode running on Oracle 10 (Unix).

Yes, maybe - but that doesn't matter, since: you want a backup and expdp is not the tool that gives you backups. Neither is R3load.

BRBACKUP is.

regards,

Lars