Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using MS-Sharepoint as a content server from ECC 6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, gurus.

From the

[SAP Content Server Installation Guide|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/cfa73246-0a01-0010-71b4-bc21ccb45c99&overrid...]

...you will find this information:

You can find a description of the SAP Content Server Interface in the SAP Library (on the documentation CD or under www.//help.sap.com) under SAP Web Application Server u2192 Basis Services u2192 Knowledge Provider u2192 Content Management Service u2192 SAP Content Server HTTP Interface. If you want to integrate another content server into your network, the new content server must fulfil the requirements of the interface.

My simple question is:

Is it possible to use MS Sharepoint as a content server from ECC 6.0 ?

Please advice.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

There is a product called iNet.DM from ERP.Link which allows you to use SharePoint MOSS as an SAP Content Server. The cost is pretty low in comparison to other content server providers and its a relatively simple installation, about 5 days.

http://www.erp-link.com/html/product/product-overview-iNetDM.asp is their website.

Former Member
0 Kudos

...and still use the standard SAP DMS functionality in the same way you use a SAP Content Server ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, this is exactly what it does. It allows the MOSS server to be used as a SAP DMS/ArchiveLink server so you can manage your documents in SAP DMS and use SharePoint as a repository.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you tried using the Webfolder in MOSS as a vault in SAP DMS???

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem with using this approach may be the fact that the documents can still be changed in the back end with no change record history in SAP. This creates audit issues because auditors don't like it when the change history is no located in one place where the user can't see it.

The whole purpose of having SAP manage this is that the change history and control is kept in one place.

Another key issue is that if you can't use the KPRO tick (a limiting factor with the vault) it limits the system to 2 originals per DIR. This may not seem critical initially, but further down the line when you start putting drawings in the system it becomes critical to have 3 or 4 originals in a DIR (original CAD drawing, PDF rendered view copy, thumbnail for EasyDMS etc) and this imposes some severe design restrictions on your system. The inclusion of the KPRO functionality is one that I see as critical on 99% of DMS implementations.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanx a lot, Athol Hill.

...can you please explain more....what is a KPro (knowledge provider) Content Server ? Will there be cases where you not want original files to be checked into a KPro Content Server ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can find more information on KPRO here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/15/aea9375d79fb7de10000009b38f8cf/content.htm

In short, KPRO enables additional functionality in SAP when it comes to content management. You'll also find that people sometimes called the SAP Content Server a KPRO server, but in reality, KPRO applies to most SAP certified content servers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric,

I agree with Atol.. on the usage of KPRO.. you would need to understand the busines requirement for connecting the document in MOSS to SAP.

If in the current business process, management of the document in done in MOSS with governance (version management, check in check out et al) also managed in MOSS, and you only need to link that final document to SAP, you can do with a Webfolder link as a vault in SAP DMS.

If you are planning to run all governance in SAP then you need to have a fulfleged SAP DMS implementation with Content server.

Hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanx a lot.

...can you explain more in details how a "Webfolder link as a vault in SAP DMS" will work.

Please advice.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Athol,

do you have personal experience with iNet.DM? We had once a web presentation and we gained the impression, that there exist only very few installations of iNet.DM in the real world.

Regards,

Gerald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gerald

I can't comment personally on their number of reference sites but the ones I saw with their implementation partner seemed fairly sizeable so if the solution wasn't robust, they would have picked this up at an early stage with things like data archiving which produces really large file sizes.

I have worked with the product and it does seem to work pretty well but I can't comment on the sharepoint backend as my expertise lies in SAP so I am not a SharePoint consultant.

Regards,

Athol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gerald, ERP-Link has 100's of installations around the world and a partner network of implementers than span the globe. If you would like more information on either partners or the product visit the website at www.gimmal.com

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

Thanks very much, your answers are very helpful.

To use SharePoint as SAP DMS for document management. We have depend on the 3rd party products like iNet.DM from ERP.Link or Duet Enterprise and separate licenses required for products?

Without this 3rd party products, it is not possible to use SharePoint as SAP DMS?

What is best and cost effective way of achieving this requirement?

Thanks and Regards,

Venky.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venky,

Did you find out how to do that without third party ?

I have the same requirement here (Use Sharepoint 2013 as repository for SAP DMS).

Regards,

Nicolas

0 Kudos

Hi Nicolas,

No, I am still searching for best solution with out using the third party products. could you please share with me if you find any best way and i do share with you.

Thanks & Regards,

Venky.

satishkumar_kirla
Participant
0 Kudos

hi venkatesh,

i have the similar requirement... may i know how you achieved it?

karim_benakli_kb
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all, in our case YAC for SharePoint.