Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cyrillic client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

I have another idea and just would like some feedback if its feasable or not.

We are converting to unicode and the our issues come from the

Cyrillic code page.. 1500.

Since this code page is unique to only 1 client, would

It be possible to build a u201CMigrationu201D system with this client only .. Then convert the "cyrillic client" to unicode.

Eliminating the possibility of false language assignment.

Then importing the converted unicode client back to the Master UC system (which only contained latin-1)

Thanks

Lawrence

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Lawrence,

technically, it should be possible to transfer the client to another system, do the conversion and copy it back to your main Unicode system.

However:

1) This will certainly add time to your downtime, client export and import cannot be done in uptime ...

2) How do you handle client independent data - like e.g. report texts ?

3) As far as I know, none or only a few customers have chosen this approach - so there are probably more issues and it is not tested ...

On the other hand side many customers have used successfully transaction SPUMG for an MDMP conversion.

In addition, it will be very easy for you to distinguish between Russian and Latin-1 in the vocab and reprocessing logs ...

Therefore I would recommend to use the standard tools (SPUMG and SUMG).

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

1 REPLY 1

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Lawrence,

technically, it should be possible to transfer the client to another system, do the conversion and copy it back to your main Unicode system.

However:

1) This will certainly add time to your downtime, client export and import cannot be done in uptime ...

2) How do you handle client independent data - like e.g. report texts ?

3) As far as I know, none or only a few customers have chosen this approach - so there are probably more issues and it is not tested ...

On the other hand side many customers have used successfully transaction SPUMG for an MDMP conversion.

In addition, it will be very easy for you to distinguish between Russian and Latin-1 in the vocab and reprocessing logs ...

Therefore I would recommend to use the standard tools (SPUMG and SUMG).

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG