cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory buffer tuning - Why bother?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are running ERP 6 on Win2003 64 bit, SQL2005 SP2 (2.6TB in size), 8 App servers with 16GB RAM (avg 60% used). As part of our housekeeping ,we are looking at addressing some of the swaps in ST02.

Currently we are experiencing swaps in the following buffers:

Nametab - Field definition: 150 000 swaps

Program: 300 000 swaps

Export/import: 500 000 swaps

Our current avg dialog response time is between 700-800ms per month (1400-1600 concurrent users).

Would increasing these buffers have any visable positive affect on the system or for the end-user? How important is it to address these buffer swaps? SAP does not report on it in the weekly/monthly EWA reports.

Regards,

CJ

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have increased the buffers mentioned above (basically doubling the size) and have actually noticed a 20% decrease of our dialog response times. We are down to about 500ms on dialogs.

I guess you should bother....

Thanks

CJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have increased the buffers mentioned above (basically doubling the size) and have actually noticed a 20% decrease of our dialog response times. We are down to about 500ms on dialogs.

I guess you should bother....

Thanks

CJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

swaps seems to be too high though response time might be acceptable. Now tuning will depend on approch - reactive or proactive.

BTW, is it every day scenario or one off?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have quite a lot of swaps but you don't say if it is per day or since startup.

I just checked our own production ECC6 system and we have only about 600 to 1500 program buffer swaps on only 3 of the 6 app servers. zero swaps for other buffers.

But we get the same kind of monthly avg dialog response time (600 ms).

If you have time, you can tune your buffer sizes, it could only be better but you will not get a big improvement.

With a program buffer much too small, I 've already seen very bad performance but it is not your case.

Some times, I like to say : If it is not broken, don't fix it!

Regards,

Olivier