cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to take backup using brtools

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Can anyone come accross this scenario? If so please share your expereince.

I am doing a solution manager upgrade(first on a test server) and I have upgraded the db from 9.2 to 10.2 and now want to take a backup of the database using brtools.

My issue is I have limited spake in the test server hence cannot take backup on the same machine.

Hence I have mounted a shared drive of anohter machine on this test server and trying to take the backup on to this mounted shared drive.

But everytime the backup starts, it stops saying permission denied, unable to make directory .....

I have made sure the shared directory on the other machine has full control for everyone.

And at the test server, when I check the permission of the folder to which I have mounted the drive, it would show full permission before mounting. Once I mount it shows rwx permission only for the root and for all others only rx and no W permission.

Thats where the problem is. I have tried chaning the permission using chmod but it does not work as the drive is mounted. I tried chaning the owner which also works till I mount the drive. After which it goes to the default root user with 755 permission!

Any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

A bit more of information is needed.

What is the operating system and version, of the solman server and the remote server?

Did you mount as NFS share, or what else? Which mount options?

One guess could be that you by mistake did a read-only mount ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Joe.

Linux RHEL ES release 4 OS, solution manager 3.1

Remote machine: Windows XP

I used the following command

mount -o username="Systemname\username" //192.168.100.206/SMRDBbkp /dump/smrbackup

How to mount with full permission?

please suggest

Former Member
0 Kudos

Accessing a Windows share from Linux is not that easy. I am not an expert for it, but probably you will need Samba, http://www.samba.org/ . And not sure if SAP does support backups to Samba shares.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I used the following command

> mount -o username="Systemname\username" //192.168.100.206/SMRDBbkp /dump/smrbackup

And you can write to that directory using <sid>adm? Try

touch /dump/srmbackup/test

does that work?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your response.

no that does not work. I cannot write using <sid>adm

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I assume it's also not working as ora<SID>.

You have to

- create a user on the Windows XP machine

- give that user the permission to write the directory and to access the share

- unmount the SMB filesystem on the Linux box and remount it giving the user and password

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried to map another server on the network and backup on that server and it worked. And it was an admin ID with which I had logged in.

Thanks for all you wonderful guys for your comments.

Cheers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is the question whether you logging in via owner user or others, there is not that issue for reading and writting.

But it will necessary that whatever user is logging with shared filesystem should be full right mean wrx.

But there is issue with security only. That is not granting permission for writting.

We have to focus in that section.

Regards,

Gokul Chandola

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gokul,

thanks for the reply

Since I used the mount command

mount -o username="Systemname\username" //192.168.100.206/SMRDBbkp /dump/smrbackup

So you mean to say the Systemname\username should have full permission. Right?

This username does have full permission.

WHat I think is, since we use the brtools in ORASID user hence it might have an issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated