cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent assignment did not get updated at run time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I had a strange problem happened in my workflow. I used "Superior of workflow initiator" for one task. I encountered an error "Error in resolution of rule "AC000000168" during tests so I changed agent to myself to see whether it would work okay. After the change I clicked "generate and activate run time version". But during tests it still gave me the same error "Error in resolution of rule "AC000000168". Finally I need to delete the task and recreate it so the agent will be changed to my new assignment. But if I change it again to a different agent, it will remember the previous one in the run time although I did generate and activate workflow. I also clicked "refresh organizational environment" in test mode before I run it but it did not help.

I felt it has something to do with Cache Memory but I am not sure what I need to do. I am new in SAP(company went live to SAP in February) and I just had my workflow training in March. I appreciate if somebody could point me to the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

Merta

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aman,

I ran the TCODE then tested workflow again, it did not work. The work time still went to previous agent's inbox.

Thanks,

Merta

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Merta,

Which release are you on?

Also use menu option System > Status to check out the difference between the system time and your local timezone. If its a HR buffer issue the buffer should be refreshed at midnight system time anyway.

However SWU_OBUF should work.

Another thing to check may be the validity start/end dates on your chief position assignment. These are also based on system date... so if your timezone returns a different date to the system date and certain times of the day that could also be a factor.

And one more to watch out for... it could be an HR Structural Authorizations issue - check in the workflow log to see which user was being used at the time the rule was evaluated - they may not have access to read that part of the org plan. In which case you want to make sure you force the workflow to use WF-BATCH to evaluate the rule. E.g. by adding an empty background step in just before the step that uses the rule.

Regards,

Jocelyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Jocelyn

Thank you for the reply. I thought if I have my thread watched I would be able to get mail automatically in my Outlook like previous one Aman replied. Sorry for the late response.

We are using ECC 5.0. According to "Component Information" under System->Status, SAP_Basis and Cross_Apps have release 6.40., SAP_HR has release 5.0. My SAP GUI version is version 6.4 with Patch level 8.

I was using sandbox(refreshed from production system in early March) to do my workflow tests. Since HR data is sensitive, basis team has suppressed certain data based on HR's request. I created an org unit on 05/06/06 based on two workflow test accounts created on 03/23/06. My very first test failed when I use rule 00000168 was because my org unit was suppressed in sandbox and I was the WF initiator. My problems started after this with my changes to "users" in agent assignment(and this particular step is "User Decision") just to see whether workflow can go through.

I couldn't figure out my problem Tuesday so I went home tested it again. I found out the changes only take effect if I reboot my laptop. I also did a test on Wednesday to go to a different work station to logon as myself without end my original logon in my laptop. The change did not take effect right away in my laptop can be recognized in different workstation. However if I switch the agent again in that workstation and tested it again, same problem. I also noticed that if I go do something else and come back to test this workflow again two hours later and it will work suddenly without rebooting my laptop.

Since my tests were based on three users(myself, two workflow tests accounts), I felt buffering may not be my issue. I have been wondering whether my problem has to do with how basis team set up our system. I talked to basis team, they recommended me to do tests in IDES system to see whether in different system workflow will act differently. I tested the same scenario there and I still had the same problem. I also noticed in my other workflow tests(different workflow), my graphic log will never show the executed path(light green bold line) after user decision although workflow did complete, work items were generated properly and technical log look right to me.

I apologize to write this long mail to describe the whole situation. I do hope I could get advises for my problems.

Thanks again,

Merta

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Merta,

1. Ignore the graphical workflow log - it gets confused if anything is too difficult. Doesn't mean anything else is wrong. Always use the technical log.

2. I'm guessing the HR data is suppressed using HR Structural authorisations??? In which case all bad behaviour may be explained.

To get around HR struc auth do the following:

1. Create an empty (no code) background method

2. Create a task to call your empty method

3. Immediately before the step that calls your rule call the task - this will swap the workflow to use the WF-BATCH user for the subsequent step.

4. Make sure WF-BATCH has full HR struc auth - no restrictions. As this is a special system user and not a dialog user you should be able to convince your HR and security folk of the need.

Can't see how the reboot of your laptop would fix the problem unless you have some sort of single sign-on issue happening as well? You might want to talk to your basis folk about that.

Regards,

Jocelyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jocelyn,

I followed your suggestion to create a standard task with empty BO type and method and specified as "Background Processing". Then I inserted a step before the step that I had an issue. However I couldn't save workflow as it gave me the message "Task xxxxxxxxx is not fully defined" and it tells me "Define at least one terminating event for the task used.". Since this task has blank BO type and method, how do I define a terminating event?

Did I understand your instruction properly?

Thanks again,

Merta

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Merta,

Just like any other task, if you have marked it as asynchronous you need a terminating event, if you mark it as synchronous you don't.

As you have used a BO type (next time try an OO type - I'll be writing some blogs soon) - mark the BO method as synchronous, then update the task and then the workflow to pick up the flag. You should then be able to carry on.

Regards,

Jocelyn

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jocelyn,

Hurrah! It solved the problem.

I still have questions about how problem is resolved.

1. You mentioned "HR Structural authorizations" in previous mails. Since my later tests all used SAP users(not organization unit, position, job), why would it be impacted by HR Struc auth? If my tests were performed in sandbox, could you please provide suggestions how HR Structural authorizations should be done so I could take it to our HR?(our company is new in HR and workflow area. Basis doesn't know what proper roles to grant to me. Sometimes I had problem but I don't even know what's missing.) What's the transaction code I can use to verify the authorization? (how do you know whether your HR struc. auth is enough).

2. Since an empty background method needs to be created for this, does it mean I need to create an empty background method for all BO types whenever I encountered this problem? Or this empty method can be referenced by any WF development in the future(i.e. BO type doesn't really matter).

3. I am interested in what you mentioned in the last mail about "try an OO type"(but I am green in workflow and ABAP area) and how can I access your blogs to get educated

?

Thank you so much for all the helps.

Merta

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Merta,

1. Talk to your HR folk. As a workflow-er I usually am just working to get around HR struc auth - not trying to set them up.

2. You only need it if you need to swap to the WF-BATCH user to avoid security issues where ordinary users are not permitted full access to the information outside workflow. Its a trick that's handy now and again, but you shouldn't have to do it regularly.

3. First blog posted - just search on my name. More to come soon.

Regards,

Jocelyn

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Refresh the buffer by executing transaction code SWU_OBUF. Click on Refresh button unless you get current time.

Regards

Aman

Message was edited by: Amandeep Singh