cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

InfoCube compression during data load

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello community,

A fairly straight forward question, but I've not found the answer. Is there any problem with performing a fact-table compression of older requests while the InfoCube is being loaded with new requests ?

Thanks kindly !

Keith

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

kumar_gudiseva2
Explorer
0 Kudos

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e3/e60138fede083de10000009b38f8cf/frameset.htm

Per this SAP help doc, "During updating you are not permitted to

· Compress requests

· Archive data"

So , I think we may have to wait for the load to complete.

Kumar Gudiseva.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Follow good practices. It is not a good practice to compress a cube while data loading happens at the same time.

Thanks,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, there would be problem with performing compression of older req at the same time the cube is being loaded

there would be inconsistancy and locks on tables will occur in database.

SO, best practices to compress the f-fact table data after loading cube

-Shreya

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe this is database dependent. I recall seeing doc that said Oracle permitted this. The only way I can see this working is if the Database you are using creates the F fact table with range based partitions (which Oracle does ). All bets are off with transactional cubes - just don't know, and they are different....

Obviously you would not be trying to compress all request, because I think that would have a problem if you tried to compress a request that was being loaded.

Seems to me I did try this at some point and had a problem, but it was a couple of years ago - many service packs have flowed under the bridge .....

All in all, due to the possible impact to loading times and enqueue errors/locks, I don't think I would try it in Prod without a lot of testing in Dev.

Message was edited by: Pizzaman

It's coming back to me....

Think I got confused - old age? The BW doc didn't talk about loading while compression was running, it says you can <u>run a query</u> while compression is running.

<i>If you are using an Oracle database as your BW database, you can also carry out a report using the relevant InfoCube while the compression is running. With other manufacturers’ databases, you will see a warning if you try to carry out a report using an InfoCube while the compression is running. In this case you can only report on the relevant InfoCube when the compression has finished running.</i>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Keith

You could compress the old Requests after completion of loading new requests completly.

Thnaks

Sat