Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value for column or variable too long.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have to increase the size of a field from numc05 to munc9.When i change in the domain and adjust the database its giving a runtime error saying "Value for column or variable ZZIP too long."ZZIP is my filed name.

Sometimes its activating the table and when i create entries its giving a runtime error.

If i create a new table(some Z table ) and change the data element its working absolutely fine.

What is the meaning of this error?Thhere are only 500 entries in Dev and I'm on version 4.0B.

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

After changing and activating your data element/Domain goto se14, give your table name then select the button edit button. on the next screen click on the "activate & Adjust database". It will work.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nagaraju Chidurupalli

Former Member
0 Kudos

As i already mentioned I'm getting the error when I'm adjusting the database in SE14.Am i missing something here

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sirisha,

What do you mean by "sometimes its activating the table" ? Assuming that it is activating some times, did you re-do the table maintenance generation after you changed the domiain? if not, delete the screen which you have generated in screen maintenance and then create a new one to adjust to the new table.

Hope this will of some help to you.

regards,

vicky

0 Kudos

HI Vicky,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried but still its' giving a dump.

I totally removed the table maint screen and tried creating entries but it's not saving and if create table maint gen its giving a runtime error.

nablan_umar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sirisha,

Try looking at your existing table entries. Maybe there are values that are bigger than the the new domain you assign. I assume your are changing from NUMC 05 to NUMC 09, which should not cause problem during the conversion, but do check your data.

former_member181966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please do the following things.I’m assuming you have changed your domain to NUMC09. You did not make any view for that table right?

- Activate the domain

-Activate the data element

-Activate the table

-Adjust table in SE14

Still if you’re getting short dump. Can you please post that short dump?

Hope this’ll give you idea!!

<b>P.S award the points.</b>

Good luck

Thanks

Saquib Khan

"Some are wise and some are otherwise"

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions.

But none of them are working.

I deleted the table maint and created another one as suggested by vicky but still the dump. saying "Value for column or variable too long"

I've checked the entries too.nothing there.

0 Kudos

Hi Sirisha,

Other suggestion would be to download all the data with a small Z-program(your custom program) and then go to SE14 and while editing select "Delete data" while doing the change with Activate and adjust database.

Once the table is adjusted and activated, upload the data to the table.

Hope this is not the last resort but as you said you have only 500 records, I thought this will be of some help.

But make sure to download the data before deleting it.

Regards,

Vicky

PS: Award points if helpful.