cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLD 7.11 trigger manual Data Supply to other SLD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

We have installed a new PI 7.1 EHP1; it uses it's local SLD. We would like to patch it to the latest SPs, and to do so we will need to add this new system into the SLD linked to our solman.

So what i did is i added a data supplier entry in the PI's SLD. This will eventually update the SLD of our solman, and the system will be ready for all maintenance and stuff.

The thing is that i don't like to wait, thus i would like to know if it's possible to manually trigger the SLD update.

PS: I know that i can temporally change the SLD target on the system itself, then trigger the data supply. But i would like to know if there is a manual trigger button for SLD to SLD data supply.

Thanks,

aidan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I was able to push an update to our solman's SLD by triggering an update from the SLD client (in our case the Java part of PI) to the local PI SLD. Done this by host host:port/nwa -> Configuration Management -> Infrastructure -> SLD Data Supplier -> Collect and Send data

Needless to say, the PI local SLD -> Solman SLD bridge was already setup.

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

The central SLD concept relies on the central SLD being of equivalent or higher release to the registering systems and clients

Also please check the SLD guides at to identify the best sync option for

a local SLD for PI and a central SLD

Best wishes

Stuart

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The are severals things to be aware regarding import/export

You need to see if you there are options to export only the system(s) you are interested in to avoid overwrite or duplicates

in target SLD

You need to be careful not to mix import lines - i.e bring in CIM or CR content to an SLD which gets this from another source

Similiar if you create the system via an SLD import - you have to ask yourself will RZ70 or SLD data supplier automatically

find that entry and update it with any future information like SPs changes etc or will you need to do incremental manual

exports from now on

Best wishes

Stuart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please refer to following document.

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/e5e7cc9b-0501-0010-adb2-ffbe7f1f7e6f&overridelayout=true]

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In both RZ70 and the J2EE SLD data supplier it might be possible to trigger the initial registration

please check the range of options

Certainly in RZ70 you can increase the frequency of the data supplier job to get a quicker registration

- however please consider any performance impact first

Best regards

Stuart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you use rz70?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, thanks for your answer.

Yes, used it for ABAP, and the SLD Connector for JAVA.

But my question was about data supply SLD to SLD (not managed system to SLD)

Basically i have 2 system, each with their own SLD.

AAA --> the PI EHP1. It's SLD contains itself.

BBB --> the solman. It's SLD contains many systems.

The goal is to trigger a data transfer between AAA's SLD to BBB's SLD. To do so you can specify a data supplier in the SLD config, but how do you manually trigger the actual data supply ?

Thanks,

aidan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Aidan

Since you have configured SLD forwarding a change in the source SLD should trigger a change in the target SLD. I would suggest removing a system from the source SLD and then get it to re-register in the source and then see if your new data is in the target SLD as well.

I am not aware of another way to manually trigger an SLD to SLD update..

I hope this helps you.

Regards

Anwar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for that. I will give it a try later on.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did it work? I find it a little strange that you have to re-establish a connection just to trigger it. I have the same question.

[edit]

Found it: just stopping and starting the SLD did the trick; however, this cannot always be done ofcourse. Trigger RZ70 will transfer ABAP data.

Edited by: M. Loohuizen on Oct 16, 2009 11:49 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have configured a bridge between a 7.01 and a 7.11 system. But, even after defining the data supplier bridge on the SLD and restarting it, the data is not being reported by the target SLD. I have tried this going in both directions. The SLD logs don't show any authorization errors (or any errors at all) either. How often does and SLD data supplier bridge send data to another SLD? Can this be manually set? And..why might I not be seeing a transfer at all?

Former Member
0 Kudos

David,

I hope you thought about the option of SLD Data synchronization. This is available from NW 7.1 onwards. You have the option to activate and deactivate synchronization too. and the synchronization is very FAST.

You have options of bidirectional and unidirectional too.

Gerard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gerard -

The synch is a little bit helpful to get our data from a NW 7.0 SP18 system over to the SLD running on a NW 7.1. But here's the dilema, and maybe we need to change the design...

All 7.0x systems talk to the SolMan 7.0x SLD and report themselves there.

We have a PI 7.1 landscape with its own SLD. I have setup sync, but with those versions only a unidirectional sync is possible from the 7.0x --> 7.1x SLD.

So, in order for the PI 7.1 systems to be visible to the 7.0x SLD, I tried setting up a bridge, but that is not working. We have several child systems that need to be registered in the same SLD as their PI system. But if the bridge is not pushing the PI system data to the primary SLD, then that won't work....

Thoughts?

Former Member
0 Kudos

David ,

Just wanted to confirm that this is what you are doing

Open Visual Admin from the NW7.0x system

Go to Server0->Services->SLD Datasupplier

You supplied all the required info like "Hostname " portname etc.

After giving all this information , did you try to initiate a Data transfer using the icon there(above the runtime tab) its like a arrow pointing downwards.

After clicking on that icon wait for sometime and see whether you get the message "Data transfered sucessfully"

Gerard

Former Member
0 Kudos

I too am having the same issue in an identical scenario: viz: PI 7.1 SLD bridged birectionally to a central SLD running on a 7.01 SolMan.

I have raised a ticket with SAP to clarify that this is indeed a supported and workable configuration. Oss note 954820 seems to imply that it is not a supported compatible configuration (it says PI 7.1 compatible with 7.00 but no mention of 7.01). However, when using just SLD bridging the implication of the note is that any version to any version should be ok. I find that hard to believe however.

I do find it strange that there is no 'button' to force a send of all data across the SLD bridge, though. Nor even to send a selected technical system across the bridge, for example, which would do just as well to be able to get the technical systems synchronised relatively easily.

With the current setup, you just seem to have to wait to see what happens, and if nothing happens you don't know if it is just due to having simply not waited long enough...

I am wondering if I should split away the central SLD to a separate Netweaver 7.2 or 7.3 instance just for SLD so that I am able to keep that at a higher version of SLD all the time (i.e. make it independent of solman versions, which seems potentially the limiting factor here)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The first problem was that it was set up in both directions.

I eventually under debug found a message saying that circular data supplier references were found so the data was being discarded when it was sent from the Solman SLD to the PI system.

I removed the back link from PI to SolMan, and then the data appears to be attempted to be put in to the 7.11 SLD, but fails due to:

java.lang.ClassCastException

This seems to be similar to note 1445294

However, I am on higher patch levels than those referenced by that note.

You might try removing any circular data supplier references if you have them, and see if you have better luck than me.

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did anyone find a way to force the SLD data over the bridge !?