Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling future requirement ahead due to supply constraint

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have following scenario:

Raw material Supply and finished product demand follows inverse curve, i.e., say for example raw material supply is more during Mar-July time frame whereas demand for finished product is more during say Sept - Jan time frame.

Raw material have short shelf life..so generally we produce for Sept-Jan requirement during Mar-July time frame and store the product to meet demand during Sepr-Jan time frame.

Question:

In APO, when I am doing long term planning, using SNP, let me know how I can pull planned orders (to meet demand during Sept-Jan) close to raw material supply, say sometime during Mar-July.

Let me know if anybody has come across this scenario and has any inputs.

Thanks

Sharad

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dipankar,

Since Sharad i looking SNP, my response was probably not in line with what he wanted.

But so far as PPDS is concerned, it can be used with CTM and i have seen companies using it for long term planning as well. It depends on the scenario whether you want it or not.

Kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not know if you can use the planning related intervals (If you use PPDS and you convert the SNP orders to PPDS)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kedar,

Its long term planning parse so PPDS will not come...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kedar,

Its long term planning parse so PPDS will not come...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharad,

My client had a similar requirement like this. what i suggested them to do was use safety stock strategy SZ which will pull the demand by the number of days that are maintained in the product master.

although this may not be a correct way to do it, this master data maintenance suits the requirement.

let me know if this helps.

Rgds, Sandeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharad,

Indeed SNP will be able to help you in this case, which is a quite common issue.

Basically what you need to do:

+ have your forecast reaady long enough in advance

+ Be able to constraint your supply (scheduling agreement, collaboration planning, resource with limited capacity...)

+ Run a contrain plan (CTM or optimiser)

Let's say for example you define a produciton resource on your supplier location, open only between march and july, and have you forecast ready for one year or more. Then, with a relevant cost maintained - e.g produciton cost, transport cost, sotrage cost, safety penatly...) the optimiser will map your available resource with your demand...

Does it helps?

Thanks and Regards

Julien

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I understand correctly, optimizer will not do pegging.

I have following question, if I run CTM, say for demand during dec - corresponding planned order is created (depending on lead time) say its in dec.

Now since I have more supply during July then dec, I want to produce against planned order in Dec in the month of July.

Will CTM peg dec planned order to July supply (depending on pegging parameters) or can it change start date for planned order to July (time when I have supply) and peg planned order to Dec demand.

Let me know.

Thanks

Sharad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharad,

Yes you are right that CTM can do the pegging. And as per your requirement, you can use CTM with early demand fulfillment option.You can maintain this in Global setting of CTM by using /N/SAPAPO/CTMCUST under tab Demand-Dependant Constraint where you can maintain early demand fulfillment as 999 days(max.) so that it will consider early demand with the supply available.

Hope it will help.

Thanks,

Dipankar