cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concurrent access to Documents

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am refering to EasyDMS, but assume it will be the same from CV02N as well. How would the system behave in the following scenario.

User A and User B have write access to a DMS document. User A logs in and checks out a document from EasyDMS and starts to work offline. User B logs in (to EasyDMS) and attempts to make changes to the document. My questions are;

1. Will user B know that somebody has checked out the document? Will there be some indication to show that the doc is being changed?

2. Will user B also be allowed to check out the document and make changes?

Thanks,

Lashan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lashan,

when user A checks out the file for editing, then user B sees in the documentinforecord an open lock at the original checked out for editing. User B can open this file only for viewing.

In the statusnet you can define a status as a "Original processing status", this means only the user which is in the field user is able to edit the DIR. So if an other user want's to edit this DIR, he first has to change the status to status "change User", change the field user to his userid and then is able to change the DIR.

If you only allow a status change, when all files are checked in, then nobody can do any changes, as long as an other user has checked out the file.

hope this helps

Iring

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Iring, this was very helpful. Just a few clarifications.

In the scenario above if the status is for example "in process" with status type blank, if A checks out the doc, will B still see the "unlocked padlock" icon and will he not be able to make changes? Or for this to work should the status be of type "original processing status"?

I included a status of type "original processing status" in the status network and it seems that this status is automatically set when the document is checked out. However, the user needs to changed the status back after check-in.

I am not sure if the above explanation is clear? My requirement is to ensure that when a user is editing an original file another user with write access is not able to make concurrent changes thus causing a conflict. I am aware that at the time of check-in SAP will prompt saying another user had made changes, do you want to reload, however by this time the user may have potentially spent a lot of time making changes would not want to lose them.

The other issue when using EasyDMS, if the user preferences have been set to "allow changes when viewing files = checked" and "action on double click on the explorer list view = view", the user can double click a file in win explorer and view the file (thus it is not checked out) and then make changes and SAP allows to check-in changes which can cause a conflict as described above. Any way to overcome this? I am thinking along the lines of not allowing the user to change certain preferences, but not sure how this can be done.

Thanks,

Lashan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lashan,

when a file is checked out, it is not possilbe to check the file out for editing again. But if you don't use the "original processing status" an other user could use the function "reset check-out" (this function is available in transaction cdesk). This will close the lock and then the user can check out the file for editing.

I don't think that there is any way in any system that is able to prevent a user to check out a file, keep it on his local machine, change the file and overwrites an existing file in the document managment system.

The only way is, don't give change privileges to those users.

regards Iring

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Iring... this answers my question.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

by knowing status Log we could come to conclution that, when[stause chenge] and who[user] edited everithing will be loged, this could be seen in statuse log.

simultaniously doc can't accessed. i think u know's.

if u want pertcular activity to know, use SM21, enter transcation. u will get history.

Benakaraj

??P

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

EasyDMS works like a portable content server...

Under Easy DMS, User A may edit a document offline and same time user B wish to work online. Here User B won't get any restriction and he can edit the file & release the document or wish to wait till User A comes online.

Scenario 1) Document is realease and when User A will synchronize his offline EasyDMS system with online system, system will create new version of document.

2) If user B wish to wait, then as per system setting...on synchronization document can either be overwritten or new content version can be created.

Hope this will help u

rgds

Kamal