cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aix users security problem with remote brtools

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm having a separate instance for my database and central instance. Both instances are running on AIX 5.3. From my understanding, the DB13 dbcheck and dbverify are done by executing brtools at database instance form central instance. This is done by remote shell execution ( rsh ) of <sid>adm at database instance.

My audit requires me to implements 3 logon failed and lock for my users. So when somebody intentionally or unintentionally do the 3 time logon fails, the <sid>adm at database instance will be locked. When this happen all jobs at DB13 will fail.

Is there any solution or work around for this issue? I really hope somebody can shed some light

regards,

Marjan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

>

> From my understanding, the DB13 dbcheck and dbverify are done by executing brtools at database instance form central instance. This is done by remote shell execution ( rsh ) of <sid>adm at database instance.

There is another option, install a gateway on the database server.

Check note 446172 for the DB13 "steps" to execute the commands, problems and suggestions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr Videl,

I've already read the said note but still confuse. Are the note saying that if we got a sap gateway at the DB instance then we don't need remote shell execution anymore for DB13??

regards,

MJ

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>> I'm having a separate instance for my database and central instance. Both instances are running on AIX 5.3. From my understanding, the DB13 dbcheck and dbverify are done by executing brtools at database instance form central instance. This is done by remote shell execution ( rsh ) of <sid>adm at database instance.

If the brtools are configured properly (means, "saproot.sh <SID>" is executed in the kernel directory), the effective user executing the brtools is ora<SID>.

> My audit requires me to implements 3 logon failed and lock for my users. So when somebody intentionally or unintentionally do the 3 time logon fails, the <sid>adm at database instance will be locked. When this happen all jobs at DB13 will fail.

> Is there any solution or work around for this issue? I really hope somebody can shed some light

The only thing you can do is to monitor the user/operating system logs and react appropriately.

Markus