cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Portal Transaction Launch Pad

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a requirement to launch SAP transactions through the portal like backend ERP. Has anyone replicated this launch pad capability in portals? I know a consultant had written sample code and posted it to SDN backed in 2003 to accomplish this task (similar to unification except without drage and relate). This code obviously does not work with newer version of portal (nw04). The original SAP workplace portal from years ago had this capability. Any info around this topic would be much appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

We are implementing the same functionality here. I'm using a URL Iview to connect to the integrated ITS server on our ECC 5.0 system (WAS 6.40). Should also work if you are using standalone ITS.

I tried transaction IViews for transactions S000 and SMEN but they were quirky.

Let me know if you come with any other solutions.

Regards,

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Alan,

Sounds like you're in the same boat. Are you launching webgui from within portal to access transactions? Is your URL iView at second level navigation area (as a tab)?

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Yes we are using Webgui via Portal as a complete front end solution. Just now setting up the sandbox and DEV environments. Will go live early next year with approx 900 users.

I actually created a new desktop (with a copy of the Default Framework page) and rules collection to display the Iview and page, it occupies the inner page area. The only other element I left on the page was the masthead.

Regards,

Alan

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

Check http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/02/f9e1ac7da0ee4587d79e8de7584966/frameset.htm

for more details. Single Sign-On (SSO) connectivity to the backend (portal to R/3) is obviously required.

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I know about creating SAP transaction iViews. That is not what I'm trying to do. In the original workplace portal from years ago, you could display the R/3 role based menus and related transaction links directly in the portal launch pad area. Is this possible anymore?

Former Member
0 Kudos

If I remember right you used to be able to do this in the iPanel in 5 and 6. I haven't seen it after that but that doesn't mean it's not possible.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that is correct.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>In the original workplace portal from years ago, you

>could display the R/3 role based menus and related

>transaction links directly in the portal launch pad

>area. Is this possible anymore?

You can import the R/3 roles into the portal:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/41/5e4d40ecf00272e10000000a155106/content.htm

Alternatively, you can use the unofficial "Transaction Launch Pad" (!):

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b25bca90-0201-0010-39b2-a0b...

It loads the role information at run-time and builds a tree control. Technically it was written for EP5, but I have used it in EP6.

That has to be worth some points .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sean,

Did you have to make any code changes to the unofficial software package for transaction launch pad? How did you get it to work in EP6? What version of EP6 are you using? Have you used the import roles function in EP? I heard that it's a maintenance nightmare because of no synchronization capability between R/3 and EP.

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

I used the role import a while back. I gather that the synchronization issue may be resolved now? I'm not sure. Maybe you should open a new question here for that.

I used the launchpad on EP6 SP2 (i.e., pre-NetWeaver). However, it is based on the unification technology, which hasn't changed since EP5. So nothing important about the guts of it had to be changed (and probably still don't have to be changed).

It was used to replace a WorkPlace implementation, because the customer wanted the look & feel to be as close to WP as possible. So we tweaked the code in a couple of ways:

1) We didn't like how it replaced the tree control with a transaction iView that took over the whole workspace (which caused you to lose the tree view). So I made it into a frameset: a narrow column with the "iPanel", and a wide column for the workspace (again, like Workplace). Then the target of the tree links was modified to write to the frame with the wide column.

2) We had ITS 6.20 links (/scripts/wgate...) and Web AS links (/sap/...), depending on the backend system. So the link syntax had to modified accordingly. They also wanted just plain URL links (because WP had them), and they had to be added as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

alla okay

RoyF
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

You can easily create a Sap Transaction iView , thru

Content Administration-> Portal content

Create a new iView

Choose Sap Transaction from the templates and follow the wizard steps.

Best Regards

Roy

Former Member
0 Kudos

John,

Launching SAP tcodes is quite simplified with Netweaver as you probably know. In today's netweaver version no code is required to launch SAP tcodes via the portal.

James