cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Project import - Constraint Dates in cProjects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We are using the most basic configuration in cProjects for importing MSProjects to cProjects. However ,we have a requirement.

We would like that "Must Start" and "Must finish" dates for tasks would not be filled in cProjects when importing from MSProject.

In other words, we would like to upload an MSProject to cProjects without constraint dates.

Is this possible?

Thanks and best regards,

Fernando

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

its all depend upon how u do field mapping between MSP & cProjects. u can have that by changing field mapping as per ur requirement. In your scenario how u does scheduling is matters lot. Normally tasks shouldnt have any constraints but it varies as per the business requirement.

Regards,

Pramod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Fernando,

You can remove the mapping of fields START_DATE_FIX and FINISH_DATE_FIX and try importing the project again.

This should work.

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vivek,

Should I remove this mapping in every field? or only in tasks?

Should I remove this mapping or change it?

Thanks and regards,

Fernando

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Fernando,

You can remove this mapping for the elements for which you do not want the dates to be imported.

I'd recommend you to keep a backup of the standard mappings if in case you need to make a quick correction.

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

I have removed the mapping for project definition, tasks and phases.

The project now doesn't have constraints in the dates which is great...but it DOESN'T import the start and finish dates for the project definition, tasks and phases.

So now the start dates have today's date with no constraints...

What should I map so that the dates of the MSProject's project definition, tasks and phases are imported without constraints?

Thanks again,

Fernando

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Fernando,

I you would like to have the dates populated, revert back the previous settings.

However, you can check removing the mapping for CONSTRAINT_TYPE and CONSTRAINT_TYPE_FIN.

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

I have reverted the settings to the original and the dates are being populated.

I added back the following settings:

for the project definition:

FINISH_DATE PDCP Project Definition (cProjects) FINISH_DATE_FIX

START_DATE PDCP Project Definition (cProjects) START_DATE_FIX

for tasks:

START PTCP Tarea (cProjects) START_DATE_FIX

FINISH PTCP Tarea (cProjects) FINISH_DATE_FIX

for phases:

FINISH PPCP Fase (cProjects) FINISH_DATE_FIX

START PPCP Fase (cProjects) START_DATE_FIX

and now the dates are populated ok, but I still have the dates with constraints. Is there any other mapping I can try?

Or any other cProjects Object Field Name for the mappings?

P.S. Does anyone know the difference between CONSTRAINT_TYPE and START_DATE_FIX or the difference between CONSTRAINT_TYPE_FIN and FINISH_DATE_FIX?

Thanks again,

Fernando

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fernando

I think there is some basic misunderstanding

whenever you specify Start Date, system will always take Contraint as MUST START ON

The Contraint can be MUST START ON or START NO EARLIER THAN or START NO LATER THAN

Thus even if you do not give contraint but only pass Date, it will take constraint

And same applies to Project End date, All project Elements work on same Logic

Niranjan

Let me know if it helps !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Niranjan!

Thanks so much for your response. I have some very basic doubts from your reply however.

I know that whenever I specifiy a start date the system takes on a constraint value as MUST START ON.

However, we would like for the constraints to appear as AS SOON AS POSSIBLE for start date constraint and NONE for finish date constraint with the scheduled dates appearing as the ones from the MS Project.

We would like this for the project definition, phases and tasks.

In summary, we would like the dates to be imported from MSProject but with NO constraints.

This should be possible as planning a project directly in cProjects is possible this way.

Importing a project with constraints limits the users and they would have to remove the constraints to every task and phase imported like this.

Is there another mapping, or a workaround so these dates won´t be transferred as constraints? If there isn´t a way please tell me why it makes sense for the dates to be transferred ONLY like this.

Best regards and thanks again,

Fernando