cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using XI for connecting to Time Recording Terminal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Basically i am a HR consultant, with no knowledge of XI. I have this query.

If there are time recording terminals to record employee Log in and Log out times and these data are made available as a flat file in a server. (may be SQL database). Then is it possible through XI, access this data and populate the data in some Z tables in R3 and also populate some table in the SQL database with values from R3.

Is this possible through XI, without writing an interface. Or do we have to write an interface program.

If we have to write an inetrface program then whats the use of XI.

Regards

Tinku

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can do this scenario without "writing" an interface. XI is able to do this "out of the box" of course you need to implement the scenario using the standard adapters (JDBC for DB / tRFC or ALE or PROXY for Z-tables in R/3).

Regards,

Kai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kai

Thanks for the reply. So from SAP to SQL, DB adapter will be used to pass on Data from R3 to SQL. That means DB adapter will be doing the data conversions or mapping and for the reverse direction ALE / Proxy adapter will be doing the dataconversion / mapping, and for this it will create the Idoc , which will update the R3.

My understanding is right ?

Regards

Tinku

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes. You would have 2 sceanrios - asynchron I asume:

1) SAP to SQL

SAP system will give the data via ALE and IDoc or PROXY to XI and XI does the mapping and conversion and then pushes the data to SQL using JDBC adapter.

2) DB to SAP

XI JDBC adapter fetches the Data from DB and after conversion and mapping the data will be given back to SAP system using ALE and IDoc or PROXY.

This is doable by XI and my understanding of your requirement!

Kai

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can achieve your requirement by using SAP XI in between Database and SAP R3.

Scenario in XI will be:

Database to R3

JDBC ( Adapter to pick up data from Databse through SQL Queries) to IDOC ( To Post Data in R3 Tables)

File to R3:

File ( Adapter to pick up files from XI APPL server) to IDOC/RFC/Proxy ( To Post Data in R3).

Easily achievable.

Regards,

Anurag Garg

Edited by: Anurag Gargh on Aug 10, 2009 4:12 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anurag

So even from R3 to Database or R3 to FIle is also easily possible without any major coding.

Because normally if we use ALE IDoc, to connect to a third party system (time recording terminal) normally the client has to purchase a SAP certifed inetrface program, which will do the interaction between R3 and the third party vendor.

So by using XI, there is no need for the client to purchase this interface program. (Already the client is using XI)

Regards

Vamsi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, both the ways is possible. You only need configuration for these adapters and scenario in XI.

Regards,

Anurag GArg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

Thanks to all. I guess my query is resolved

Regards

Tinku

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The answer to the first question is Yes.Through XI you can connect to 3rd party system with the help of File Adapter, read the flat file and push the data into the R/3 system with the help of inbound abap proxy.

Definitely you don't need to write interface program since XI gives you all the option to do the integration as you desired but it all depends on what's the specific requirement.Thru XI you can do the monitoring of the messages being sent to the R/3.

Thanks,

Arijit Guha

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
If we have to write an inetrface program then whats the use of XI.

the use of XI is to convert the Flat file present in the source server into those compatible with the Z table and also with the DB.

For a person like me developing an interface in XI is far more easy than writing an interface in R3.

Regards,

Abhishek.