cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 10.2.0.4 with OFS 3.3.4 - MSCS -Failsafe Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Prior to our production upgrade of Oracle 9.2.0.6 to 10.2.0.4 for SAP 4.7 / Windows / Itanium (IA64), I had been trying a trial "Oracle only" upgrade with MSCS in virtual server environment. Added complexity is a Standby Database.

I have reproduced the scenario in Virtual Server, with Oracle only (no SAP) - two node cluter + standby database.

After I upgraded the system, based on SAP document, when I use OFS Manager to add database to the cluster, the FS manager hangs at the stage "Checking whether database GEO is online" and remains there for hours. I have exactly performed the steps provided by SAP for the upgrade.

Any specific issue I am overlooking?

Regds

Murali

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We installed OFS 3.3.4 on Oracle 10.2.0.2. All of cluster, group and standalone database verification are passed. There is warning to state that Oracle Management Agent not installed. We asked SAP support they answered that can be ignored. When we run add database to group, we always got failure at the last step to bringup database on the available node. The OS event log shown ORA-010301 insufficient privillege. The OFS dumped messages shown

FS-10382: SPLMIPCAX64 : Bringing resource MIP.WORLD online

• ERROR : FS-10726: Resource MIP.WORLD is in a failed state

• ERROR : FS-10012: Failed to bring the cluster resource MIP.WORLD online. Check the Windows event log for messages

• ERROR : FS-10782: The Oracle Database resource provider failed to bring resource MIP.WORLD online

• ERROR : FS-10890: Oracle Services for MSCS failed during the add operation

• ERROR : FS-10497: Starting clusterwide rollback of the operation

FS-10488: Starting rollback of operation.

We guess it may be listener IP and port issue. We try to assign the oracle virtual IP with port 1527 to nodes on both side, and two individual IP with port 1521 for each node, but the problem can not be solved.

We need help. Hope anybody has idea to be in light on the issue. We appreciate very much.

Paul

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just as a guess:

you can exclude any problems with hostname resolution and/or networking, firewall?

"virtualized" means, virtualized hostnames?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, not virtualised hostnames.

The entire system is running under Microsoft Virtual Server scenario, as currently I am testing the upgrade process.

There are no firewalls or network issues.

Thanks & Regds,

Murali

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> The entire system is running under Microsoft Virtual Server scenario, as currently I am testing the upgrade process.

Well... Oracle doesn't support that configuration... (only Hyper-V is to be supported in the future). This can be the reason - or not, very difficult to tell.

Did you try it on bare metal?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, bare metal is not an option - though I have servers, I don't have hardware to hook up the shared storage.

Well, when I setup the 9.2 system, in Virtual Server scenario, it worked pertty decent ... I never had any issues.

Regds,

Murali

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> No, bare metal is not an option - though I have servers, I don't have hardware to hook up the shared storage.

Ok...

> Well, when I setup the 9.2 system, in Virtual Server scenario, it worked pertty decent ... I never had any issues.

Yes, I believe you...

I don't think anybody but Oracle would be able to help here. Your environment is pretty complex and I doubt, that anyone had done that kind of upgrade in the exact environment.

I'd open an OSS call (BC-DB-ORA) and ask them if they could have a look.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Markus,

First, the good news: I have solved the problem, in virtual environment.

Now the TGW:

- The Oracle Service should run under Local System account - I had been starting the services under the

credentials of the cluster manager.

- Some memory bottlenecks - being virtual server, the RAM availability is limited to the physical RAM in the host system.

I increased the RAM step by step, and with 512 MB, am able to complete the task.

- OFS Manager can put the DB into the cluster now.

-> Earlier, it was hanging at "Checking whether database is online".

-> At an intermediate stage, OFS Manager would fail with Error ORA-12631. Google did not give me anything but

different permutations-and-combinations helped me.

-> I have removed the DB again from cluster using OFS Manager, then used Cluster Administrator to add the DB to cluster.

• Perfect ** .. no need to use OFS Manager, which unnecessarily creates another instance of Listener.

Thanks for your inputs - you were the only one responded to this message. Perhaps, in future, this may help someone else. Hence I have summarised the solution above.

REgds,

Murali