Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idea about Logical DataBase

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

<u>Can, programming with LDB, be considered as an object programming.. just VB, which is an object programming language.</u>

That is we r creating an Object directly and using when ever we want. It is different from OOP where we create a class and instantiate the class to create an object.

My next question is:

There are 2 transactions which we will create, which are basically same except for a text field.

<i>First transaction is posting. And the second one is a reverse posting. In the second transaction we have the reason for reverse posting.</i>

I think in this case we can use LDB and it is the typical scenario where we can apply LDB concept.

Please evaluate me.

-Naveen.

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

<b>Hi NaveenKumar,</b>

Logical databases are special ABAP programs that retrieve data and make it available to application programs. The most common use of logical databases is to read data from database tables by linking them to executable ABAP programs.

However, from Release 4.5A, it has also been possible to call logical databases using the function module LDB_PROCESS. This allows you to call several logical databases from any ABAP program, nested in any way. It is also possible to call a logical database more than once in a program, if it has been programmed to allow this.

Logical databases contain Open SQL statements that read data from the database. You do not therefore need to use SQL in your own programs. The logical database reads the program, stores them in the program if necessary, and then passes them line by line to the application program or the function module LDB_PROCESS using an interface work area.

<b>Tasks of Logical Databases</b>

1.Reading the same data for several programs.

2.Defining the same user interface for several programs.

3.Central authorization checks

4.Improving performance

<b>First part of your question</b>

<b>

So,if i am not wrong, LDB cannot be completely considered as object oriented programmming.</b>

I have highlighted some important points above

For understanding this in detail you can go through the sap help .(if you donot know go through the below path

sap library

+ Basis Components

-Abap Programing and runtime enviornment

-BC-ABAP Programming(noe serach for ldb

<b>Now your second part of question</b>.

In the scenario which you have mentioned we can use ldb.But i am not sure whether it is a typical scenario of ldb.LDB is just a specific access routine to support database access for some application (report generation) needs.We can define a logical database to shorten our ABAP coding .

Here I am mentioning a link which shows a complete implementation of an LDB.

<b>http://homepages.wmich.edu/~r2raviko/HandsOnQuest/HO9.doc</b>

I suppose after going through the reply(or sap help) and the link mentioned above all your doubts regarding LDB will be cleared.

Thanks & Regards

<b>Pawan P. Khilari

*Please Mark Helpful Answer</b>

0 Kudos

Hi Pawan,

I dont say LDB is object oriented but Object programming like VB.

-Naveen.

0 Kudos

<b>Hi NaveenKumar,</b>

Actually i now understood what exactly u meant.And i misread object programming as object oriented programming.

But correct me if i am wrong I dont feel there is a much differnce between object programming and object oriented programming.

<b>To be very precise Visual Basic is an Event oriented Language</b>

Check this definition of Wikipedia definition,

Visual Basic (VB) is an event driven programming language and associated development environment prototyped by Alan Cooper as Project Ruby, then bought and vastly improved upon by Microsoft. In business programming, it has one of the largest user bases.

Now in this case what you suggested was absolutely correct.LDB is also Event based language because it consists of various events,some of them are

<b>LDBNODE

GET

GET_LATE

CB_PROG

CB_FORM</b>

<b>And Visual Basic also being an event based language is similar to LDB.</b>

i suppose Your query is solved comletely .

Thanks and Regards,

Pawan P. Khilari

*Mark helpful Answer

close ur query if your query is solved.

0 Kudos

Pawan,

My query was solved.

Nice to share my thoughts with u.

I dont know how to close, is there any that kinda option.

Please close the thread if u can.

-Naveen.