cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk Space utilized rapidly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Guru,

I m facing a problem, where the size of the disk space which was allocated to CRM Dev system is getting full.Currently we have space currently for allocation from the total size.But as per our observation , say for example we had an estimation of say 300GB for th Dev system for the complete year if calculated , within span of 3 months size utilized is 250 GB.This indicates something has went wrong in the system.I checked the sizing also , it has no issue.Now I have only two option ,1> Archive the data 2> Reorg the table space and index.But the surprising part this activity takes place normally after span of the year where as in my system , this issue arrived in 3-4 months after golive.

I would request to kindly advise , how can i crunch the data,meaning: I want to analyse by what, the tablespace and disk is utilised so rapidly.Do I have any other way rather than re-org and archiving, by which I can delete the transaction data and can free up the space.

How to analyse the root cause of the same.

Please suggest at the earliest.

Regards,

Amit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Amit,

Apart of database analysis, please also check any wrongly configured background job or even backup schedules in db13 calendar which takes backup and dump in sapbackup folder. May be System audit trails have been openned.

So also look into these directions.

Regards

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amit

Did you check tablespace gowth history? Check it from db02.

Do you delete archive log files after saving it?Check your oraarch directory

First you have to find what is causing your diskpace growth..

Whether reorg will help you or not you can find from one SQL command. Check the link below for the command.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure how much reorg will help in this case since it is fairly new system. Is it the space taken by database or at file system level?

You can check following note

[https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=16513]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check if your tablespaces have datafiles with autoextend set to on. Especially the PSAPUNDO and PSAPTEMP shouldn't autoexend.

As soon as you give us more details on which tables are growing, or which files/directories are filling raplidly, then we can give you more detailed help.

Regards, Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI amit,

How many client in Dev server.

Have u backup archived files with delete option ??How much space consuming archived files.??

What is the space using tablespace wise and what is the free tablespaces.

Check below query

Total Space

SQL>Select tablespace_name,sum(bytes)/(1024*1024) Total_SpaceInMB from dba_data_files

group by tablespace_name;

FreeSpace

SQL> select tablespace_name,sum(bytes)/(1024*1024) FreeSpace_MB from dba_free_space

group by tablespace_name ;

SurendraJain

Former Member
0 Kudos
Select tablespace_name,sum(bytes)/(1024*1024) Total_SpaceInMB from dba_data_files
group by tablespace_name;

select tablespace_name,sum(bytes)/(1024*1024) FreeSpace_MB from dba_free_space
group by tablespace_name ;

Sorry to contradict, but these queries will simply tell you the allocated and free space, not what is using the space.

Rgds,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Its true, I jst want to check how much space used temp and undo tablespace might be these are auto extend On ,these should

not be autoextend.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

As a first step you should determine which DB objects (tables/indexes) are consuming the space. The history stats in DB02 can give this information but you can also run the following query in SQLPLUS periodically. This will list all database objects of size >= 100 MB.

column Object format A30
column Object format A30
select substr(segment_name,1,30) "Object",
   bytes/(1024*1024) "Size(MB)"
   from dba_segments
   where bytes >= 104857600
   order by 2;

Once you know the names of the largest tables, a good source of information (if you have access to the SAP Service Marketplace) is the "Data Management Guide", which you find at http://service.sap.com/ILM > Data Archiving > Media Library > Literature and Presentations. This guide explains data cleanup strategies for many application areas and individual tables.

Regards,

Mark