cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDM not starting integrated only standalone

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know there are some other posts with similar problems but some of them does not have any solution and I have already tried all other solutions like going to standalone and then to integrated, used the command sdm jstartupregister to integrate again the SDM to the Framework, service ports not being used, and this SDM was working find probably a year ago, we have a very high message to SAP and after more than 20 hours trying to find a solution I´m posting here hopping someone has already had a similar problem and found a solution.

Basically all started when we tried to start a Java Stack deployment and found that JSPM is not working because SDM cannot start, we already installed a new SDM software but every time we try to run it in integrated mode, the start server keeps waiting for the server to come up and finish with the message:

ERROR: SDM server startup not finished after 600 seconds. Giving up.

Could not start SDM. Processing error. Return code: 4

In DEV and QAS servers in this BW landscape SDM starts in less than 5 seconds but in producction server is not comming up. This is a High Availabitity server so we have virtual names and hostnames.

Logs does not gives any error message, just the lines that already pasted here. We are also able to enter to http://hostname:port and request system info, UME, etc without problems but there is no clue of what is going on.

Any Ideas?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

changzheng_zhao
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks AC. Your tips did help resolved our issue.

We had the same issue with starting SDM with integrated mode during the Solution Manager 7.1 upgrade. I don't know why the following j2ee parameters are missing. But after I added them manuall to instance profile, the SDM can be started with integrated mode. Note 741289 (Profile parameters of the J2EE Engine are lost) can help determine which j2ee parameters are missing.

jstartup/trimming_properties = off

jstartup/max_caches = 500

jstartup/instance_properties = $(jstartup/j2ee_properties);$(jstartup/sdm_properties)

jstartup/protocol = on

rdisp/j2ee_libpath = $(DIR_EXECUTABLE)

exe/j2ee = $(DIR_EXECUTABLE)/jcontrol$(FT_EXE)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the post AC, it helped me resolve my issue.

The following parameter was set like this on the CI where SDM is supposed to run:

jstartup/instance_properties = $(jstartup/j2ee_properties)

The parameter should have been:

jstartup/instance_properties = $(jstartup/j2ee_properties);$(jstartup/sdm_properties)

We lost the parameter setting because we made a lot of changes to a Dialog instance profile and then copied it to the Central instance profile on the OS instead of using RZ10. We adjusted things in the CI profile like:

j2ee/instance_id

SAPLOCALHOST

INSTANCE_NAME

However, we did not catch that the jstartup/instance_properties parameter is different between the CI and the Dialog instances.

Best regards,

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, The problem was solved by SAP support after a lot of tests and work.

The problem was that for any reason not yet known by anyone here an Instance Profile parameter was not there exe/jlaunch (or something similar) that´s what I was told (I went to sleep at 3:00 am) by the person who stayed looking for the SAP answer.

Just don´t know what is the relation between JSPM - Instance Profile - SDM because as far as I knew JSPM calls SDM but did not know JSPM used Instance profile to call SDM.

According to some other guy here that profile parameter gets deleted by itself y some other systems here and they have an open case at SAP because of this.

Thanks anyway to all and hope this will help in the future to someone having the exact problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello AC,

Actually the issue with the instance profile parameters becoming missing is likely cause by making changes to the instance profile directly on the filesystem. You should only make changes through transactioin RZ10. When you make the changes directly on the filesystem the changes are not contained in the copy of the instance profile which is in the DB. The next time someone make any change to the profile (even unrelated to sdm) and activates the profile, the copy in the DB overwrites the filesystem version and all parameters that were added directly on the filesystem copy will be lost.

Regards,

Nathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please provide more information.

Which command did you try? Was it?:

sdm jstartup "mode=integrated"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, we have tried that command.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does the dev_sdm log file get updated.? It could show any errors/further info.

Regards,

Srikishan