cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Object Tag Instead of Applet Tag

former_member67937
Participant
0 Kudos

We have some users who will be using a non-xMII application that requires JRE 6, and since that isn't supported by SAP xMII, we were wondering if there is a way to force xMII on the client to use JRE 5. One way we found is to use the <object> tag instead of <applet> tag, and we set the JRE in the control panel to NOT hook to IE. The example is as follows:

OLD CODE:

<APPLET NAME="gridList" CODEBASE="/Illuminator/Classes" CODE="iGrid" ARCHIVE="illum8.zip" WIDTH="700" HEIGHT="400" MAYSCRIPT>

<PARAM NAME="QueryTemplate" VALUE="ListQuery">

<PARAM NAME="DisplayTemplate" VALUE="ListDisplay">

</APPLET>

NEW CODE:

<object name="gridList" classid="clsid:CAFEEFAC-0015-0000-FFFF-ABCDEFFEDCBA" height="400" width="700">

<PARAM name="name" value="gridList">

<PARAM name="codebase" value="/Illuminator/Classes">

<PARAM name="code" value="iGrid">

<PARAM name="archive" value="illum8.zip">

<PARAM name="mayscript" value="true">

<PARAM name="QueryTemplate" value="ListQuery">

<PARAM name="DisplayTemplate" value="ListDisplay">

<PARAM name="FirstUpdateEvent" value="ListFirstUpdateEvent">

JAVA 1.5 not found on PC!!

</object>

Is the <object> tag supported by xMII? Does anyone see an issue using this method. We do not plan on using this for Netscape since we are 100% IE. We also use <servlet> tags, and unfortunately, I have not been able to find a way to specify which Java version to use when using this tag. Does anybody know how, if possible?

Thanks,

Todd

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Doesn't 1.6 work with your 11.5 applets? Is the loosely interpreted 'Not supported' really a big deal since you could effectively say the same thing with MII 11.5...

The object vs. applet being will be entirely managed on the client side, so as long as the zip file loads and the applet class fires it should work.

former_member67937
Participant
0 Kudos

We have done a little bit of testing with JRE 6, and we found it to be slower than JRE 4 or JRE 5. So are you saying that 11.5 is also no longer supported? I thought it was still supported since 12.x is still relatively new.

Do you know if we can set the clsid using the <servlet> tag? If not, is there a forum on the SDN that can help answer Java questions?

Thanks,

Todd

former_member67937
Participant
0 Kudos

Side note:

Apparently, it is not necessary to specify a java version if using the <servlet> tag. The file extension I was using was .htm instead of .irpt. When I switch it over, the servlet worked as expected.

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The <SERVLET/> section on a web page only works with an irpt file extension as you found out. This chunk in the html gets run on the server side and replaced dynamically with the results, which is why when you do a view..source after it comes up in the browser you see the end-result.

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The support dates for the difference release versions can be found at http://service.sap.com/pam

Answers (0)