Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BR* Tpols help required please

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

This is Angeline Purnama, I really need your help this point

In NW2004s PI-Server 7.0 under windows 2003

Basically someone already setup for SAP BR*Tools setup which is i can see DB12 or DB13 view...

Everyday it backup whole database files such as:-

SR3.data1, SR3.data2, SR3.data3, SR3DB.data1,SR3DB.data2,SR3DB.data3,SR3DB.data4,SR3DB.data5,SR3DB.data6 etc. etc.

Size of all files more then 1GB everyday... and it create everyday new folder name and saved all files in side of folder

1. Question: Is that normal procedure if yes, so why not SAP just backup only updated files ?

2. How to check what kind of tables listed in large file for example SR3.data1 or SR3DB.data1 ? where should I go in SQL statement is that table or database sigma?

3. If I want to changed date only backup 2 or 3 days only, everyday and prevouse bacakfiles are deleted automatically, becuase I have to remove folder manualy everyday old backup folder... where should I change? in initSID file? or goto brtool and change or background job change ?

4. Its saved some Archived logs too, like folder names: oraarch and lot of files in it such as Arch38923.001 every extension .001 how to check thase files... or open it where they are define...

I read help.sap.com that meke me very confouse and point out some others notes

I belive if someone give me very nice and short answer that will be really appriciated, I know you guys very busy but take little time for me,hehehehe thanks in Advanced

Angeline

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

**Q1- . Question: Is that normal procedure if yes, so why not SAP just backup only updated files ?**

Ans:- It depends upon ur backup strategy ... In normal case companies opt for daily incremental backup(so that only updated files can backup) and full backup once in a week (offline or online depends upon your system availability)

2. How to check what kind of tables listed in large file for example SR3.data1 or SR3DB.data1 ? where should I go in SQL statement is that table or database sigma

Ans:- There is no way to find out the tables in backed up data files .( I am not sure about this answer)

3. If I want to changed date only backup 2 or 3 days only, everyday and prevouse bacakfiles are deleted automatically, becuase I have to remove folder manualy everyday old backup folder... where should I change? in initSID file? or goto brtool and change or background job change

Ans:- In this you can follow any standard back strategy . take old backfiles on secondary storage (eg tape) and schedule some script to delete old backup files(unix concept dont have idea about windows). backup schedule you can change in db13.

Answer4: Archive logs used to recover the data upto the same time.If u dont have archive logs from last backup to current point then complte recovery of data is not possible at all. ( this is very cruicial)

Former Member
0 Kudos

THanks you very much you both guys give me very good information....

I want to discuess about question number 3 and 4...

I am not talk about backup table views, I just want to view any table becuase when I go oracle folder i just found out couple of table like not more then 10... and I belived SAP saved more then 50,000 table... where they are ??? may be compress these table in this file such sapdata1, sapdata2, or SR3DB.data1 someting like that ???

as i told you before sap backup create 2 different folder one for sap backup and 2nd for archived I just deleted old archived files and keep only 2 or 3 days by date wise

same sap backup I deleted all old folder, so you are saying sap create some point for in archived ????

please advised, when ever you have time...

Thanks for you help and time

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not talk about backup table views, I just want to view any table becuase when I go oracle folder i just found out couple of table like not more then 10... and I belived SAP saved more then 50,000 table... where they are ??? may be compress these table in this file such sapdata1, sapdata2, or SR3DB.data1 someting like that ???

The files you see in the filesystem are called datafiles,you can have more than 1 datafile per tablespaces, inside the tablespaces are the tables and indexes, this can be viewed from SE16, or from DB02 by browsing the different tablespaces.

Hope this make it more clear

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a look at following link for related documents

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/ora?rid=/webcontent/uuid/1cc71b42-0d01-0010-7f91-f352b58078cf] [original link is broken];

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi TA,

Please let me know the whole directory structure where you are cheking these files.??

PLease check oracle/<SID>/<Oracle release>/dbs.. here u will find init<SID>.ora where v set parameters . check the location of archive log storage . It must be pointing out to three location . Pleasee check those location .

.goto oracle/<SID>/sapbackup-- to check the logs and backup files.....

Note.. Please tell me whole directory structure where u are cheking any info .. so that i can provide to the point solution.

Thanks and Regards,

Arun Rathour

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very good Thanks you soooooooo much...

yes, i did found out one paramaters: in initSID.ora file in oracle\SID\database folder and 2nd one is \roacle\SID\dbs folder

Paramaters shows 30 days... should I change that paramaters value thats sould be ok?

CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME = 30

After change that value should I have to restart server...

Please verify

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Dont change this parameter , This wont solve your purpose .

CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME specifies the minimum number of days before a reusable record in the control file can be reused. In the event a new record needs to be added to a reusable section and the oldest record has not aged enough, the record section expands. If this parameter is set to 0, then reusable sections never expand, and records are reused as needed.

This parameter just keep the information of backup records and archive log records.

Actually In window we use script to remove old backup files and log files. I dont know how remove those files in window.

I will go through this problem in deep and let you know ..

Dont do anything till my next post...

Thanks and Regards

Arun Rathour

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find the answer of the questiones below.

1. Question: Is that normal procedure if yes, so why not SAP just backup only updated files ?

It all depends on what backup stratgy you followin your env.

I think you have scheduled offline backup every day and some time in day you sap system will not be accessable.So it is tacking the backup of all the system and not the updated data.all the updated data is in the archive logs files.

so if you have one offline backup and all the archive logs files after thet then you can restore the system.

2. How to check what kind of tables listed in large file for example SR3.data1 or SR3DB.data1

I dont think any specific table is backed up .in offline backup all the tables(data) are copied .

3. If I want to changed date only backup 2 or 3 days only, everyday and prevouse bacakfiles are deleted automatically, becuase I have to remove folder manualy everyday old backup folder... where should I change? in initSID file? or goto brtool and change or background job change ?

Please check that is there any scheduled defined in DB13 you can do it in DB 13 as we have collender there.

4. Its saved some Archived logs too, like folder names: oraarch and lot of files in it such as Arch38923.001 every extension .001 how to check thase files... or open it where they are define...

Archive logs are created when you are updateing or changing some thing in the database.All the archive logs thet are created are made entry in the file backSID.log.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol