Best Practice for Customization of ESS 50.4
We have implemented ESS 50.4 on EP 6.0 SP 14 and R3 4.6C . I want to know what is the best practice for minor modification of ESS transaction . For eg : I need to hide the change button in Personal information screen .
Pls let me know .
PS : Guaranteed award points
Christopher Solomon replied
"Best Practice" is just going to be good ole' ITS custom development. All the "old" ESS services are all ITS based. What can not be done through config is then done by developing custom version of the ESS services. For what you describe (ie. the typical "hide a button" scenario) it is simply a matter of:
(1) create custom version(ie. "Z" version) of the standard service. The service file will still call the same backend transaction via the ITS parameter ~transaction.
(2) Since you are NOT making changes that require anything changed on the backend transaction (such as adding new fields, changing business logic, etc) you are lucky to ONLY have to change the web templates. Locate the web template in your new custom service file that corresponds to the screen in the transaction where the "CHANGE" button appears. The ITS naming convention for web templates is <sapprogramname>_<screennumber>.
(3) After locating the web template that corresponds to your needed screen, simply locate in the HTMLb where the "CHANGE" button code is and comment it out. Just that easy!
(4) Publish your new customized service and test it out directly through ITS. ie. via the direct URL to it: http://<yourdomain>/scripts/wgate/<yourservice>!
(5) once you see that it works, you can then make an iView for it in your portal (or simply change the iView you have to now point to your custom ITS service.
LOTS and LOTS more info on ITS development all around this site and in the ITS sepcific forum.
Hope this helps!
Award points or save them...I really don't care. I think the points system here is one of the dumbest ideas since square wheels. =)