Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP security & minimal rights concept

Former Member
0 Kudos

It appears that the "minimal rights" concept does not prevail in SAP, for example if a role contains 2 instances of the same object, one with full authorization and one with restrictions, the instance with full authorization will take precendence over the restricted one. The user would get the most permissive access.

Can anyone confirm that the above is consistent with their findings? I would like to ensure that they're not a setting somewhere where the customer defines their approach, e.g. "least permissive" or "most permissive".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Linda, you are correct in your understanding. The higher authority will override the smaller level of authorisation. There is no maximal/minimal setting that you can toggle.

When minimal rights concept is referred to in a SAP concept (and other ERP's I have found too) the interpretation is generally that of least privilege required to perform a users duties and the subsequent implementation of that technically.

2 REPLIES 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Linda, you are correct in your understanding. The higher authority will override the smaller level of authorisation. There is no maximal/minimal setting that you can toggle.

When minimal rights concept is referred to in a SAP concept (and other ERP's I have found too) the interpretation is generally that of least privilege required to perform a users duties and the subsequent implementation of that technically.

0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

Thank you for your response, it was very helpful!

Linda