cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suggesting a good approach, webservice/file/jdbc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

As a solution, one of my clients needs to move from their Financial data from their systems to ECC.

As a best approach, what should be the solution provided to them.

1. Will a webservice, with PI publishing the web service and they doing an invoke would be the right approch?

2. Will they making files and placing them on an FTP folder make sensE?>

3. Will using jms/jdbc and invoking their tables be an better approach?

Assuming standard volume load of data from their legacy to ECC.

I do not have much of an idea abt their systems as yet, but as a plan, need to walk up with something n give them some thoughts on what could be the best.

pls share your thoughts on when would u ask your clients for which approach.

thanks,

Vishal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vishal,

Actually it all depends upon their current environments and how they are maintaing their current data. Some clients have the legacy systems through which they are currently running with the files. So in this case the best thing would be use file adapter and get the data from their legacy systems, because they dont need to do any changes.

If they are currently having all the data and there are doing in files, but they are having the data in databases then using jdbc approach will be a right option.

Some clients currently might be runnign with some other middleware along with some web services. So in this case soap adapter you can use and change their current system.

But ideally now a days each client will have a mixture of all this. So you might be ending up to do all teh scenarios. One thing you should keep in mind is you are changing their currnet environment with PI. So ideally they should not change anything in their curent system, whatever it is you have to adhere, because you are developing from scratch.

Regards,

---Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Satish,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that the changes majorly needs to be done on PI side.

But out here, we are just a bit flexible with it - so, if suggesting a webservice approach over their standard process would yeild benefits over the long run, a bit of coding on either side is accepted.

So, if assuming a standard approach - normal data load - not having much of an idea about their existent system and I need to put a layout that webserice woule be the best approach, followed by jdbc and then file(if they are not ok exposing their databases).

am i right in saying this?

next case,

assume 1000 messages coming each day from legacy.

Will webservice/file/jdbc - which would suit best and why?

thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vishal,

I would personally prefere to go with webservice when you are interacting with some web applications outside your network and some one outside your company trying to get the data.

If it is within the company I would always go with either FTP or JDBC.

On file adapter if you want to run the script you can only run the script on teh xi system. You cannot run on any ftp folder. You may run into issues with content conversion (with extra space also). Some more you can see here:

On jdbc if query doesnot work then you can run the query at database level and can check whether it works or not. We cannot do this in file adapter. With PI 7.1 you can directlry import the schema from database, not possible with file adapter. Some more you can see here:

On Webservice, usually every client wants to go this approach when ever they have the environment because may be in futrue they might be slowly moving into SOA concept. Then in this scenario I would go with this. Some more you can see here:

Regards,

---Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Satish,

that is some nice stuff...thanks a ton..

Former Member
0 Kudos

With the details provided you can look for the options one and two

as I feel not to go with JDBC adapter when you have other options as it have some constraints to be followed for the same

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Rajesh.

I was of the opinion of - if there are no sync calls and with we having 7.1 - webservice would be a good option.

Also, whow much effort does it go in for a client to go for webservice or FTP'ing the file?

What are the reasons for going in for webservice over FTP that I could suggest - their current approach, I believe is FTP'in to some other system and more and it has to be somethign concrete to switch from FTP to webservice...

Also, what complexities for jdbc? can u mention a few? (they might have to expose their staging tables - if not DB)

thanks,,

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> thanks Rajesh.

>

> I was of the opinion of - if there are no sync calls and with we having 7.1 - webservice would be a good option.

>

> Also, whow much effort does it go in for a client to go for webservice or FTP'ing the file?

>

> What are the reasons for going in for webservice over FTP that I could suggest - their current approach, I believe is FTP'in to some other system and more and it has to be somethign concrete to switch from FTP to webservice...

>

>

> Also, what complexities for jdbc? can u mention a few? (they might have to expose their staging tables - if not DB)

>

> thanks,,

For FTP PI can poll the folder and can fetch the file no need to send the file by client system to PI

Also depending on the application system of your client you can look for either SOAP(Webservice) or HTTP Calls ..(if it is java its easy to develop webservices/http services)

Regarding the JDBC assume that you have created the entire interface and at final moment table structure has got changed..

its not easily for you to make these changes i.e you need to change the message type created in PI...

also you need to have dedicated field for status of retrieved or not for particular records...

These are few.. ...

HTH

Rajesh