cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager upgrade issue on Linux

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alll,

Need your inputs/thoughts on this issue.

We are planning for Solution Manager upgrade from 3.1 to 4.0 and for this the setup and plan is as below:

The production data of the solution manager has been copied as a VMX FILE(VM Player) file on to a test server and we have plans to upgrade that and check and then upgrade on the production system.

The test machine has got a different IP address and hostname. From the test machine when I start the sap instance its affecting the Production machine and dueto which the production will not work until I stop the SAP Instance on the test machine.

It cannot be a IP conflict or hostname conflict as we have them differently on the test machine. But still there is an issue. The IT dept says the issue is with the starting up of the instance and we dont know where to see what exactly is the problem.

I am new to upgradation stuffs, this is my 1st assignment and I am not sure from where to start!!

Can anyone of you tell me where to check for the details?

SOLMAN is installed on a unix machine with oracle 9.2 and we are planning to upgrade it to SOLMAN 7.0

any suggestions on where to look out for the possible issue?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How did you copy the system? If you copied Database and SAP folders then you should change the SID profiles to point to the new hostname.

By the way and just a curiosity, why are you going to upgrade Solman and not just install it from scratch and configure again everything?.

As per your actual configuration if you plan to upgrade you need to check the OS version and upgrade Oracle to 10.2.0.2 at least before actually starting the upgrade process.

Good luck

Former Member
0 Kudos

The IT has given us the VMX file which has the production data.

We are using VM ware.

As per the business needs, they want us to upgrade instead of installing it from scratch.

And before we could upgrade we need to start the test machine's instance and then upgrade the db on it right? so after the starting of the instance itself the production solution manager would start getting affected.

And yes, I did re name the host name on all the profiles so to point it to the new host name.

but still no go.....

Any suggestions?

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have a J2EE System, you cannot change the hostname ... because the hostname is also inside the secure store.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, we do not have J2EE

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you did the upgrade right then your Solution Manager 4.0 is a dual stack instance. If you just upgraded ABAP without prior installatino of a Java Addin your Solution Manager is incomplete.

Renaming of an instance (hostname) is neither supported nor documented, the correct way of cloning an instance is doing a systemcopy.

Markus

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unix files and binaries won't work on Linux no matter whether its virtual or real filesystems. If you want to create a copy on Linux from Unix, you have to do heterogenous system copy.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is not a Unix filesystem but a "container" of VMWare. It's not related to VxFS/VxVM.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I did this a lot and know the side effects a little.

My recipe:

1. Start the copy without network and manage it from the VMWare Console. Change the IP address and make sure all references to the hostname (DNS and /etc/hosts) point to the new one. I hope you're working consistently with hostnames and no IP addresses.

2. Configure the firewall (iptables) on the copied system to block all requests from and to the original production server. If there is any communication with other SAP servers (like monitoring agents, SLD, or others) block this too!

3. Re-enable the network in VMWare.

Alternatively: Can't you simply put this in a VLAN or a real seperated network with just the server and a management workstation?

Hope that helps..

Nikolaus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information.

Any more suggestions/information would be greatly appreciated....

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your problem is, that you did the copy on a non-supported manner - so neither we here nor the SAP support will be able to help you.

Markus