cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MISTAKE WAS MADE - My apologies for the confusion around "New Mentors"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Folks I want to apologize - several of this year's new Top Contributors suddenly had a "Lemon" the SAP Mentor symbol next to their name, this was a mistake on my part.

While updating the group last night I had a connection problem, when I was working again it was some time before I realized that I was now updating the Mentor group instead of the Top Contributor group.

Again my apologies for the mistake and confusion, our Top Contributors I value very highly, sometimes more highly than our SAP Mentors - the two groups have very different focuses and my intention was not to create confusion and for that I can only say I am sorry and that the problem has been corrected and within a short period the caches will all update and things should be back to normal with our Top Contributors all having the proper access to their new areas!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member188685
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not even considering it as a mistake, so no need of any apologies.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Errors can be classified into two

1) Error occured due to the negligence of the individual and he has to face the music

2) Error occured and hit others

With the first one others dont care because, the concerned individual will have to face the music. But the second one will have worst impact on others.

Right from today morning, I was not accessing SDN but accidentally when I checked my personal mail, some members had congratulated me for becoming Mentor. I was literally delighted and dont know what is going on SDN since I have not been informed of this. In fact, some few weeks back, I took this subject in one forum.

Dear Craig, please dont think I am just putting the blame on you but just imagine if the lemon reflecting against the members in the forum is suddenly vanished, the members will be put into an embarrassing situation. No other alternative but to accept your apologise

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can understand how you feel, no one likes to get something to have it taken away later - however as we are all humans and we understand mistakes are made I'm sure everyone realizes I did not do something intentionally to harm anyone.

When a person is selected to become a Mentor they are spoken to and talked to BEFORE they receive the new permissions, same as the Top Contributors, except this year where I blogged first and mailed everyone second.

A mistake was made and it has been corrected, I made the mistake and I spent the time correcting that mistake - am I facing the music - yes with every post made by someone congratulating someone else or someone pointing out that I made that mistake.

Lakshmipathi, you are a Top Contributor one of only 80-90 people this year to hold that title that inside a community of 1.7 million people! That in this environment is something to celebrate and be proud of! Everyone in SCN knows who you are, everyone attending an SAP TechEd event around the world will know who YOU are! Please focus on that fantastic achievement, you deserve to celebrate and when I am in Bangalore I'll buy you a drink and apologize in person if you like.

I also honestly do not think we have anyone in this community who will look down upon another member because of a mistake that was made by someone else.

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Craig,

You dont have to go on a apology-overdrive.

We all know it was not intentional. And those who's Lemon will be taken back, I could say for sure, will feel the same way. We all make mistakes (as has been said by a dozen people before me).

Its my gut feeling that from now these Top Contributors will strive harder in their respective areas to earn that Lemon. You have given them enough motivation to go for it. Its indirectly going to do more good than bad. A couple of years down the line, you could sit back with a cup of hot coffee and remember the day when you pushed a handful of Top Contributors to become the much-respected Mentors in the SCN Community.

pk

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
when I am in Bangalore I'll buy you a drink and 
     apologize in person if you like.

First, there is no need to apologise in person. I have just explained my position and in fact, as I said already, I was wondering how when no information is received on Mentor, one can be a Mentor.

Secondly, I dont drink

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
these Top Contributors will strive harder in their 
    respective areas to earn that Lemon.

I dont know about others. But for me even for Moderator, I have never strived hard to get it. I have just shared my knowledge in the forum by giving quality suggestions and for that efforts, it has come. Definitely I will continue to give quality suggestions as has been doing and also see that the forum is running clean I am sure, for these efforts, it will yield some fruitful result in the near future.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tea is also a drink, unless you take it intravenously...

Anyway, the caches on the server side will clear their part of the problem and the understandable emotions on the client side will hopefully follow suite as well (even although lots of SDN forum contributions and the SAP Mentor Program are two very different pairs of shoes IMO, as is moderating as well).

Anyway, I can offer some light ponits-gamer entertainment while the problem is synchronizing itself again, if anyone feels like a challenge as a mild distraction?

(though one of them is pretty sneaky and hard to spot

Cheers,

Julius

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good to see the top-guru's are human as well Apologies accepted.