Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to ECC 6.0 from 4.6C

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been researching on the forums and I am following all the information I've found yet I still have one question.

We are upgrading our landscape from 4.6C to ECC 6.0 I just took this job and in the past the company did not transport new roles as they were created. They were created in PRD. DEV and QAS are upgraded to ECC6 now. I went to SU25 in DEV to go through steps 2 and 3. None of our roles are there so there wasn't anything to do. What I did was a massdownload of all roles from PRD and upload to DEV so that I could transport the changes to QAS and let everyone start testing. After uploading all roles into DEV, I went back to SU25, I did step 2A, & 2B says I do not need to maintain the transactions. 2C has almost all roles with a green status light, yet if I click on each role there are unmaintained and new authorization objects in all of them. I can go in one at a time and maintain them. However, if I am reading this correctly, in step 3 the values I maintain will not be transported. Is this correct? Am I going about this the correct way?

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the basic idea of SAP giving 2C is to allow customers to go thru the roles and give our own values for the new empty fields. So You don't have an option to mass generate the roles(as far I knew). You might think SUPC, or some other process might help mass generating the roles. but untill you go thru the whole process of SU25, the roles aren't getting updated.So You can't see them as ungenerated thru other ways. I would say if your company is following the derived role concept then you can start working on generating the master roles first which will make things flowing in groups. exception is if you have any new object which is a ORg.Level Variable. In this case You need to go thru each individual role.

and regarding the new transactions(replacing transactions and entirely new ones) getting into the roles, I guess 2D gives an option to include the new transactions which are replacing old transactions to group up with old transactions without actually replacing the old transactions in the roles.i think that would be a better option instead of entirely ignoring the new transactions.if you want to stick with old stuff(I din't try this), you probably should research about how much is it possible to do 2D later.

and I would assume, In 2B, You spent enough time to make sure You are not overwritting your own adjustments in SU24 by just selecting to set SAP defaults to everything.

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's a tricky one...

Some ideas:

Was SU25 step 1 ever performed in DEV?

What you need to do before 2A is sync the SU24 data backwards as well, as that has probably been maintained in PROD as well. Also check how reliable the PROD SU24 data is and how many "changed" or "manually" or "inactive" auths there are.

2B I suspect might have problems from the upload into an upgraded system, particularly if you generate profiles for a transaction which does not exist anymore. Check the menu (and standard S_TCODE auths) whether everything you uploaded is there. Also consider running 2D first in a system copy to test your PROD roles.... Additional recommendation: see [SAP Note 991377|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/991377]

If you are lucky, then they made a science out of SU24 directly in PROD and you can re-use that.

Good luck,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Aug 4, 2009 9:10 PM

0 Kudos

Great, thank you! I synched the SU24 data. My developers do not want to start using the new transactions yet so I am on 2D and clicking on "Manually adjust Menu" creating the profile and generating.

Is there a way to generate the profiles for all my roles at once rather than going into all 1240 of them one at a time?

0 Kudos

How good is the quality of the SU24 data in PROD?

The bugger with 2C is that it is the "leg work" of the upgrade of your own roles. There is no medication available for this...

Best is to upgrade the conceptual decisions first in 2A and 2B so that the 2C work is less and also picks up the decisions you need to make.

What did 2A + B have to say after you synced the SU24 data?

Please also do a check in SU22 of PROD that there is no CUSTOMER or ORIGINAL data in there which is not in DEV when you fix the landscape. Only SAP data should be there if this is to work.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the basic idea of SAP giving 2C is to allow customers to go thru the roles and give our own values for the new empty fields. So You don't have an option to mass generate the roles(as far I knew). You might think SUPC, or some other process might help mass generating the roles. but untill you go thru the whole process of SU25, the roles aren't getting updated.So You can't see them as ungenerated thru other ways. I would say if your company is following the derived role concept then you can start working on generating the master roles first which will make things flowing in groups. exception is if you have any new object which is a ORg.Level Variable. In this case You need to go thru each individual role.

and regarding the new transactions(replacing transactions and entirely new ones) getting into the roles, I guess 2D gives an option to include the new transactions which are replacing old transactions to group up with old transactions without actually replacing the old transactions in the roles.i think that would be a better option instead of entirely ignoring the new transactions.if you want to stick with old stuff(I din't try this), you probably should research about how much is it possible to do 2D later.

and I would assume, In 2B, You spent enough time to make sure You are not overwritting your own adjustments in SU24 by just selecting to set SAP defaults to everything.

0 Kudos

Agree with Keerti here and recommend reading his post carefully.

> exception is if you have any new object which is a ORg.Level Variable. In this case You need to go thru each individual role.

In this case, there is an improvement as the old views to activate the field as an org. level are obsolete now. They did not adjust the roles which already contained those fields with manual entries.

That is why 2C is very important as well. 2A and 2B only make your life easier in 2C, if SU24 is maintained correctly within the landscape.

I would recommend looking at 2D as well before you run 2C, to see what is waiting for you. This depends on your choice of transactions and how your roles are built (which is the big factor influencing 2C).

Cheers,

Julius