cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI 3.0 Persistence Tables maximum fill level

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are running NW04 XI 3.0 SP19 on Windows 2003/MS SQL 2005, we use the switch procesdure for the Persistance Tables to archive/delete messages when we breach 75% fill level, we are performing a worldwide rollout of SAP, and the PLA archive is currently growing by about 3-4% per day, we retain 7 days of messages, so we normally end up with a fill percent of about 25-30% after an archive/deletion, so we reach the 75% fill level in about 15-20 days.

Is there anyway to raise the amount of messages that can be held above 850,000 ? (visible through SXMB_MONI) we have plenty of space on the DB and I would like to increase the time between archiving/deletion runs, as we rollout to more regions and messaging increases, our daily message throughput will increase.

Thanks for any advice.

Paul.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

For the ABAP part of the messages (and I think this is what you are looking for) you may use transaction SXMD_ADM and the "Configure Integration Engine" and add parameter DROP_MAX_TABLE_LOAD in category DELETION.

According to SAP documentation the maximum size of tables SXMSPMAST resp. SXMSPMAST2 are calculated based on the techincal settings of these tables in DDIC. In a PI 7.1 the default values for both tables are max. 200.000 entries (=category 4).

To view these settings go to SE11, display table and then press button "Technical settings".

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Volker

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I was under the impression from our XI team that if the fill level reached 100% the XI messaging system stops working correctly, its good to know this level can be breached and not cause XI to stop working.

We have the DROP_MAX_TABLE_LOAD set to 75%, so we have sufficient time to run an archiving/deletion and investigate if we get problems, the standard 90% was too close to the 100% fill level when I was under the impression 100% full causes XI to stop working. As we are halfway through a worldwide roll out and the persistance layer is growing by about 3-4% per day, I was concerned that we could end up running an archive/deletion weekly to keep below 75% full, even with the message retentions days set to 1 !

Thanks,

Paul.

former_member334189
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

don't worry about 100% fill level in this context.

Volker is absolutely correct regarding the origin of the maximum number of messages. Indeed, this is the number of expected data records as shown in SE11 -> Technical Settings. The value depends on the size category as well as on the database plattform. It is used for database optimization once the system is installed. Basically it describes the size of extends that are added to the table as soon as the existing extents are filled.

This value does NOT describe the maximum number of records that can be stored to database table, i.e. the maximum number of messages that can reside in XI persistence layer.

In context of XI/PI this value is set equal to a fill level of 100%. This way it is a kind of watermark that is used to trigger and control reorganizational task like copy&drop. Please note: you can store as many records to the database table as you like, consequently the fill level may exceed 100%.

This is known as a common misconception. Therefore SAP created 2 documention objects describing what exactly is meant by terms like 'fill level' in context of PI. This documentation is included as of the latest Support Packages (PI7.00 and above), i.e. PI7.00SP21/ PI7.10SP9 and it is accessible from the UI (TCode: SXMS_MONI_DB) right away.

Best regards,

Harald Keimer

XI Development Support

SAP AG, Walldorf

Former Member
0 Kudos