cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI 7.1 Adapter Module Development - Identify SOAP Fault Message

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,</br>

here's a PI 7.1 Adapter Module Development issue I hope you can help me to resolve. It's about identifying SOAP fault messages.</br>

</br>

Scenario at a glance:</br>

Adapter Modules placed in the modules chain at request and response time in a synchronous Scenario:</br>

- Request: SOAP Axis to RFC </br>

- Response and Fault Response: RFC to SOAP Axis</br>

</br>

The issue is how to identify SOAP fault message in SOAP Axis Adapter Module in the response message:</br>

The client gets SOAP fault messages like the follwong one:</br>

<SOAP:Body>

<SOAP:Fault>

<faultcode>SOAP:Server</faultcode>

<faultstring>Server Error</faultstring>

<detail>

<ns1:exception xmlns:ns1="http://typen.geschaeftsstelle.pab.barmer.de">

<ns1:errortext>bla bla bla ...</ns1:errortext>

</ns1:exception>

</detail>

</SOAP:Fault>

</SOAP:Body>

</br>

</br>

But when trying to access the tags faultcode and/or faultstring in the adapter module via xPath expressions I do not get them. Obviously the SOAP Fault tags are built AFTER the adapter module has been passed. So my question is:</br>

How can I clearly/uniquely detect a SOAP fault response message (and distinguish it from a "normal" response message) in my SOAP Axis Adapter Module?</br>

</br>

I tried it the following way:</br>

</br>

// -

</br>

// Check Message Payload for SOAP Fault Message via xPath expressions</br>

...</br>

// SOAP Fault Code</br>

zv_xPression = zc_constXPattern.replaceFirst("&", "faultcode");</br>

zv_soapFaultCode = XPathAPI.eval(zv_doc, (String) zv_xPression).toString();</br>

// SOAP Fault String</br>

zv_xPression = zc_constXPattern.replaceFirst("&", "faultstring");</br>

zv_soapFaultString = XPathAPI.eval(zv_doc, (String) zv_xPression).toString();</br>

// check for SOAP Fault Message</br>

if (zv_soapFaultCode.equals("") && zv_soapFaultString.equals("")) {</br>

// Create Audit Log entry - NOT a SOAP Fault Message</br>

zv_msgText = zc_constModuleName + " 0190: xPath - OK! This message is NOT a SOAP Fault Message";</br>

zv_audit.addAuditLogEntry(zv_msgKey, AuditLogStatus.SUCCESS, zv_msgText);</br>

zv_faultCheck = false;</br>

}</br>

else {</br>

...</br>

// Create Audit Log entry - SOAP Fault Message</br>

zv_msgText = zc_constModuleName </br>

+ " 0200: xPath - this message is a SOAP Fault Message. " </br>

+ " - Faultcode is: " + zv_soapFaultCode </br>

+ " - Faultstring is: " + zv_soapFaultString; </br>

zv_audit.addAuditLogEntry(zv_msgKey, AuditLogStatus.ERROR, zv_msgText);</br>

...</br>

}</br>

...</br>

</br></br>

But zv_soapFaultCode and zv_soapFaultString are always empty (with other payload tags this coding works fine).</br>

</br>

Any ideas? </br></br>

Thanx very much in advance!</br></br>

Regards,</br>

Volker

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the end I diid with MessageClass.

Regards,

Volker

former_member184154
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Volker,

I need to do a very similar thing. Would you mind sharing your solution with a rough copy-paste here in this thread or in the wiki/code gallery?

I'd really appreciate that.

No suprise noboby helped you: it's realy a cuttin'-edge topic. Any XI/PI guy seems to be quite scared by the SOAP Fault monster!

Anyway, I'm dealing with Axis, trying to build an axis handler to hijack the soap fault into a soap response (for which reason I am rewriting the HTTPSender in order to bypass the HTTP 500, and having it not throwing an exception, but handling it as if it was a non-faulty situation), but I have a problem (see last post).

Any help/suggestion is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alex!

Like already mentioned I solved my problem by identifying the SOAP exception with the messageClass attribute of the PI message header. Acess code:

try {

String zv_msgClass = zv_piMsg.getMessageClass().toString();

} catch (Exception e) {

zv_msgText = zc_constModuleName

+ " E0110: Message processing terminated."

+ " Reason: Error while getting MessageClass "

+ zv_dataSource

+ e;

// create trace and audit log entry (severity ERROR) for exception

zv_location.errorT(ZV_SIGNATURE, zv_msgText);

zv_audit.addAuditLogEntry(zv_msgKey, AuditLogStatus.ERROR, zv_msgText);

ModuleException me = new ModuleException(e);

zv_location.throwing(ZV_SIGNATURE, me);

e.printStackTrace();

throw me;

} // end of try-catch-block

But I do not think this will solve your problem. I am almost sure, that something in your Axis configuration is wrong/missing. If a handler cannot be instatiated then it really may be missing. Have a look at defaultTrace.trc. Maybe you will find more suitable information about the root cause of your problem. Also have a look at NWA under software components and/or application modules if you can find/see your modules.

But there is a general issue when trying to catch PI fault messages. If e.g. the requestor tries to login with wrong userid/pasword, then you will have no chance to catch this kind of error - at least as far as I know. Because in this very early stage of PI message processing no module is called.

One last question: Did you develop your own Adapter or just an adapter module? In the first case: Is your adapter started and healthy? Have a look at RWB -> communication channel monitoring.

Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

In the meantime I tried to access MessageClass attrribute. At first sight it looks good: When MessageClass is "ApplicationError" it seems to be a fault message.

Question now is: Does this always come true and what is the difference to MessageClass "SystemError"?

Answers to this as well as other recommendations are still very welcome.

Thanx!

Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

... really no ideas?

Thanx in advance for any hint!

Regards,

Volker